Rabid

Chapter 36

A sense of calmness washed over me as I strolled through the hallways. We had made it back to Colorado and I was focused. I was focus on getting Eva back based on the Intel that I got from Jones. Carson was only a day ahead of us.

I didn't say much to the men, but they can feel the rage my wolf is giving off. My wolf simmered at the surface waiting to burst free, I kept a very tight lid on him but barely. The men kept their distance from me, treating me like a rabid dog that would tear them limb from limb. James was the only one that would get close enough to try to calm me down, but it wasn't necessary. I was calm.

I trailed behind James and his men as we approached Eva's apartment, where Colin and Celeste were housed. The door open before we could knock, by Colin who immediately embraced James in a brotherly hug.

"It's been too long, brother." Colin kept an arm around James' shoulder ushering him inside.

"I know, I know. Wish it could've been under better circumstances." Those were the last words I heard as they moved inside the crowded apartment followed by James, his men, and me bringing up the rear.

I shut the door behind me, idling by the door as I made a sweep of the room. Men and women from both packs were engaged in a reunion of some sorts. I didn't linger long before someone grabbed my hand and weaved us through the maze of people.

Celeste hand tighten as I tried to pull away, because I knew what was coming. I allowed her to steer us in the back into an empty bedroom. It was Eva's room, her smell was intoxicating and I longed to bury myself into her bed covers to inhale. It wasn't much, but it was better than nothing.

"Creed your brothers are worried about you. I'm worried about you."

"There's nothing to worry about, I'm fine." I sat down on the bed, my hand running lightly over the cover. I stopped at a pillow picking it up and inhaling in her scent. This is what I needed to my wolf. A link to our mate.

"Creed!" Celeste snapped her fingers in front of me bringing me back into the moment. Sighing I replaced the pillow and move away from the intoxicating bed. I leaned against the wall giving Celeste my full attention.

"James told us about the bunker and what you did to that guy you captured. You are not fine. Creed you need to hang on and don't lose yourself. "

"Celeste I am fine. I have my wolf under cotrol. I did what was necessary to get information and it worked. So you and my brothers can rest easy. I am okay." I turn to leave before the anger bubbled over. I was sick and tired of everyone treating me like a time bomb. I was also mad at my weak brothers for sending Celeste to do their dirty work. If they have a problem with me, then they should be man enough to step up to me.

"Who are you trying to convince me or you?" Celeste prodded the beast within and I grinded my teeth to keep my irritation from slipping out. My hand gripped the door knob getting ready to escape any further lecture from Celeste.

"Celeste I don't know how many times you want me to say that I am okay before you believe me. But I will.."

"She's not dead." Celeste words struck a nerve and I twirled back to face her.

"I know that!"

"Then act like it. You need to keep your wolf under control before he consumes you again. We both know what can happen. And no, I've have never told Colin what happened. So get your shit together. You have a mate, don't let that bloodlust take over, fight it Creed!" Her words broke the last wall I had erected around myself that kept my fear at bay. The fear that everything we were doing was for nothing because Eva was already dead.