Heavy Metal

Chapter 27

I sat on a bar stool at the kitchen island staring down at the bottle of beer in front of me. I heard the sound of the refrigerator open behind me and the clanging of beer bottles. Finch slammed the bottle of beer on the kitchen island across from me and began vigorously searching the drawers.

"Where's the kid?" I asked emptying all emotion from my voice.

"Sleep." Finch grunted.

"How did you manage that? Sang him a lullaby, daddy? And you said my clock was ticking." Picking up the bottle to take a swig and observed as Finch finally stopped his search, pulling out a blue checkered kitchen cloth.

"No I sedated the boy." Finch's waited for my reaction and I didn't disappoint.

"What! You sedated a two-year old!" I yelled at him ready to jump across the island and strangle him.

"The little fucker bit me. That little bitch is strong and quick for a two-year old!" I finally noticed that Finch had one of his hand pressed against his shirt. He quickly wound the towel around his injured hand, cursing as he tighten the impromptu bandage. Finch guzzled the beer in less than a minute slamming the bottle back onto the counter and stared at me. He then reached behind him with his good hand and place his gun next to injured hand. "Tell me why I shouldn't shoot you dead on the spot, Eva?"

Finch cold, obsidian eyes pierced mine but I only raised my eyebrow. "Because I saved your ass back there. You're welcome by the way." I resumed my relaxed tone and stared back at him.

"Where's the recording?"

I laughed at his question. "Did you really think I would bring it with me? I know how you operate. You would kill me, and then take the recording off my hands. So no, I don't have it with me."

"You are right. I would kill you right now, I don't care if you did get us out of there. I don't like you. And I certainly don't trust you!"

"Today is not your lucky day, because you will not kill me. If you do, then that recording will be sent to every pack and council men here in the US and a few overseas. I'm not stupid, that tape is my insurance policy that guarantees that I stay alive. If I don't check tomorrow and every day for the next week, my informant will send out that tape. Now that we got that straight, what's the plan?"

"The plan? To take out Celeste Wright, we underestimated the response time from the pack. I won't make that mistake again. Now that we have alpha junior, we have a bargaining chip."

"Do you really think the mother will sacrifice her son for her life?"

"Yes."

"You underestimate the Raven Pack. First, she is pregnant and will not endanger her unborn child. Second, Colin will not let her. So I hope you have a better plan than that."

"I called in reinforcement they should be here by tomorrow night. Then I will call and set up an exchange time."

"Are you listening to me? That will not work. Have you forgotten that the Wrights have family on the council? They may have already called it in. I know Carson want to keep this quiet."

"Do you have a better plan?"

"Glad you asked. Of course I do, and it doesn't entail waiting around for reinforcement. Right now the Raven pack is in disarray with their leader down, let's take advantage of that now."

"And how do you propose we do that?"

"We sneak onto the Raven pack territory and snatch Celeste right from under their noses. I know where their weakness lies. We can get in and out before dawn tomorrow."