Finish

Chapter 28

I tread quietly circling the house. Finch was paranoid and I wasn't sure if he had us followed and know that I betrayed him. I whipped my head to the right at the sound of twigs being snapped. Then a dark brown wolf appeared. There was only three of them left, Finch, Jake, and Scott, I wasn't sure who the identity of the wolf. It really didn't matter I needed to take him out.

I knew my position would be comprised in a matter of seconds and I shed the jacket and yanked the oversize t-shirt over my head. I put the two guns I confiscated off of Tevin's dead body, on top of the shirt. I was going to use the element of surprise by shifting, I didn't have time to remove my bottoms, before I had to shift.

I sprung out of the bushes chomping into the side of the brown wolf. He nipped at me, but I dodge rearing my legs and kicking him in the head. The brown wolf stumbled and jerked his head vigorously side to side. I didn't give him enough time to gain equal footing before I attacked again, clamping my jaws onto the back of his neck. The wolf howled in pain, alerting the others and I snapped with a quickness to finish him off. I shifted back into my human form running back to my stash quickly donning on the shirt and grabbing the guns.

"Scott she's in the back!" I heard Finch yell out my position and I quickly sprang into action. I dashed back into the woods further away from the house. I had to draw them away from the house, away from Caden.

I leaped up wrapping my arm around the tree to gain field advantage. It was awkward climbing up in the tree carrying two guns. Without a strap to place the guns in, my hands weren't free. I tightrope walk along the thick, long branch with my arms stretched out to the side for balance. I quickly tiptoed to the other tree and swung up to an upper branch and twisted my body around. I was lying belly down on the branch the leaves scratching my exposed limbs. I had a clear view of the house and the immediate area around it.

I watched as Scott climbed down the front porch with an automatic rifle hitched to shoulder and looking through the scope trying to locate me. No sign of Finch.

"Eva come out, it's over!" Finch voice was coming from inside the house but I couldn't tell from where.

"I knew that pack made you their bitch. So much for picking the side of the council."

I knew he was trying to goad me into reacting, but I wasn't going to take the bait. If I did, I would give away my position and Scott would shoot. Scott stayed at the bottom of the steps quickly scanning the area with his weapon.

"If you give up now, I promise I won't kill the little bastard. But if you don't I will snap his little neck."

Finch continue to threaten, and I knew he was not bluffing. I aimed the guns at Scott's head and fired.

As soon as I fired, Scott dropped dead but a barrage of bullets flew in my direction. That's when I realized that Finch was using Scott as bait. The bullets tore through my skin blazing a fiery trail as they exited my body. I lost my balance and fell through the thick branches, my body bouncing off each branch as it careened downward. The thud sucked all of the air from lungs and I groaned at the impact of the harden ground.

I could feel the poison racing through my bloodstream, and it didn't take me long to figure out which one was bursting through my blood vessels, S-15. S-15 was a particular nasty poison, one concocted in the belly of the council laboratory. It was a slow killer, as it ate at your organs, causing excruciating pain. It was nickname the slow death. It killed its victim several hours after contact. As a trained operative, we were all given a taste of each poison to help us fight through the pain, and given a weaken antidote that will prolong the effects of each poison. Can't have trained killers immune to all of their poison, in case you have to put one down.