Chapter Twenty Two- New Corporal

Skye's POV

A week later

"Skye....I'm so sorry...." Hanji mumbled.

I looked down, "Why?"

"Levi...." She muttered.

I tensed at the mention of his name. It has been a week since he died. We announced his death to the citizens of Wall Sina. I remember it clearly because I was the one who did it.

Flashback

I got into the carriage that was going to the capitol where Erwin and I were to give a speech to the king and the citizens. Then news would travel to the other citizens. Erwin shot me a sympathetic look as he went over the details fort the speech.

"Do you understand, Skye?" He asked in his deep voice.

I only nodded as I gazed out of the window, watching the passing buildings and people. I saw a little girl running into the arms of a soldier, yelling out the word 'daddy.' I scoffed at the sight.

"Skye," Erwin hesitated, "I know this is difficult--"

"Shut it, Eyebrows. I do not need your sympathy or your pity. I'm fine. I will give the speech, and tell everyone that their beloved corporal is dead." I snapped, tears threatening to spill.

I heard a sigh from the left of me, which caused me to look up at Eren, "And what the hell do you want?"

"Nothing." He muttered.

"Really?" I remarked, "Doesn't seem like it."

"That's enough, Skye. This is a hard time for all of us, no need to take it out on Eren." Erwin said.

I sighed at what he said. Those were not my intentions. I was not trying to take my anger and sadness out on Eren. I just....well I guess I kind of was.

After another two hours, we arrived at the place where we were supposed to give the speech. People were already crowded around the area, waiting for the speech to begin. There sat the king, waiting impatiently. Tch, what a pig, what a heartless pig.

I got out along with Erwin and Eren. We walked silently, to the stage and began to climb the steps. Everyone watched with anticipation.

"We have some terrible news to release. I will let Skye Akamine explain." Erwin shouted so everyone could hear.

I took a deep breath and let it out.

Looking straight into the crowd with nothing, but a stoic expression on my face, I shouted, "On this last expedition we went on, we lost many of our beloved comrades. They fell fighting for humanity, and giving their hearts to humanity...." I hesitated as I moved on, "The Special Operations Squad was committing to their duty, when a group of titans came out and attacked us. We lost two members. One of those members was Corporal Levi Ackerman of the Survey Corps. He has fought a remarkable fight, and will never be forgotten."

An uproar of gasps and whispers broke out. I heard some sobbing as well, ignoring it all, I saluted to the crowd.

"This salute is to remember the great Corporal we lost!" I shouted strongly.

Erwin stepped up, and patted me on the back, then began to speak, "Skye Akamine is now the Corporal of the Survey Corps. Skye Akamine," Erwin turned to me, "I now give you your new title of Corporal Skye Akamine of the Survey Corps, congratulations."

I saluted to him. I did not want the title of Corporal. That was Levi's title, not mine.

I walked off of the stage, unable to feel my legs. I walked to the carriage and got in, staring off into space.

I miss you....Levi....

End of Flashback

"Me too, Hanji. Me too." I mumbled.