Chapter 17

We all sat around the dinner table, spooning some delicious rice and chicken Lena had made into our mouths. Jesus was plowing through the food, practically inhaling it. “Callie, why aren’t you eating your dinner?” my mom asked, watching Callie stir food around with her spoon.

                “Just not hungry,” she replied, her eyes looking down in embarrassed.

                It was mine and Callie’s turn to do dishes tonight, making this day even worse. Everyone had exited the kitchen and to the living room as Callie and I began clearing the table. “I’m really sorry about what happened earlier,” I told her as I began washing the dishes she handed me.

                “It’s fine. I deserved it,” she said, no emotion in her tone.

                “No really,” I replied, trying to show her how bad I felt.

                “Brandon just shut up,” she told me, pausing as she gripped a plate in her hand.

                “Callie…” I whispered, unsure as why she overreacted. She began to wobble, her body shifting back and forth. She yelped, beginning to sink the ground. I ran over and placed my arms beneath her, holding her body tightly in my hands. She screamed, her eyes rolling in the back of her head. “MOMS!” I shouted, my heart pounding as I panicked. “Callie,” I said quickly. “Callie, what’s wrong?”

                “I don’t know, my chest is on fire and I feel like I’m going to throw up,” she cried.

                “MOMS!” I screamed, the panic evident in my tone of voice. They both came running in, grabbing at Callie as we all supported her.

                “Let’s get her to the hospital asap,” Lena said after feeling her forehead. “She’s on fire.”

                The hospital was cold and eery making me shudder being in the waiting room again. Jude sat curled up next to Lena and Stef, his eyes drooping as he silently cried. I sat between Mariana and Jesus who bit at their nails anxiously. 

                We’d been there for hours when a doctor finally came out. "Who's here for Callie Jacob?" he asked, all of us standing up automatically. “Well, I’m pretty certain that the reason Callie is in so much pain is because she’s miscarrying.”

                “W-wait miscarrying as in she’s pregnant?” Lena questioned, her eyes widening.

                “Yes, very certain. Only about 4 weeks though.”

                I froze, counting back the weeks in my head. I felt like I was going to be sick. I had gotten Callie pregnant. Coming to this realization, I stood up adruptly. “She got her period though, that’s impossible!” I cried. My moms, the twins, and Jude all shot me a look of disbelief.

                “Women spot a lot, and at times it is mistaken for their period. Some women even get their period. It’s a mystery really. Are you the father of the child?” he asked gently.

                “Um,” I froze, looking at my family as I tried to come up with a good enough lie. I pictured Callie though, sick in the bed. “Yes.” I hung my head low, feeling everyone’s eyes burning into me.

                “Brandon Foster,” my moms both hissed in unison. I scratched the back of my neck awkwardly, shifting my weight.

                “Can I see her?” I asked, seeing as both my moms were not planning on speak considering they were too shocked.

                “Well, she’s miscarrying at the moment; which means, we may be able to save the baby, or we may not. I don’t think it’d be a good time, but,” he looked at me, a slight frown on her face. “If you absolutely need to, you may.” I nodded, quickly, and began following after the doctor who had pointed me towards a hallway to the left. I quickly shuffled behind him, my hands shaking. “Here,” he said, extending his arms to a door. “She’s in there.”

                My heart ached as I opened the door, seeing Callie connected to so many machines. She was pale, and her body was limp. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a monitor with our baby on it. I really felt sick then, and clutched my stomach trying to keep the vomit down. Callie looked up at me, pain in her eyes. “Hi,” she whispered, smiling weakly.

                “Don’t smile at me like that, this is my fault,” I mumbled, sitting at the edge of her bed.

                “It’s not,” she whispered, reaching her hand out to touch my cheek. I stared into her eyes, the deep brown ones that made me fall in love with her.

                “What’s going to happen?” I ask.

                “Well, it looks like the baby won’t live. It’d take a miracle. I have no idea though.” Her eyes fluttered shut for a moment before she opened back up her eyes.

                “We’ll take it one moment at a time,” I replied, hovering my hand over her belly. “May I?” I asked hesitantly.

                “Sure,” she responded. I grinned and placed my hand gently on her stomach. I just sat there for a bit, rubbing gently on her belly with the pads of my fingers. “This is weird,” she laughed.

                “But nice,” I responded, joining in with her laughter. We just sat there, looking at the moniter with out little baby swimming on it, fighting for life. It was more sad than anything, realizing that this baby probably won't experience life and love like we do.

I had SOOOO many mixed comments about whether you want Callie to get pregnant or not. So I’m going to let you choose! (wow I know I’m awesome haha jk) My opinion, i prefer her not pregnant, but it's up to you all!

Anyways tell me below if you want her pregnant or not and I’ll total the comments up. The one with the most wins.

Since it’s a biggie I need at least 20 comments from different people just so it’s a fair race.

Vote and comment, thanks so much for reading ilysm (: