Chapter 5

I examined the shirt and fought of the tears that were brimming at my eyes. I looked up at my mom and  saw the fear across her face. “I didn’t tell her to leave,” I spit out so fast that my own head spun. “We kissed. At your wedding and I,” tears poured down my face and I fell to my knees. My mom stood like a statue as Lena ran over to hug me half heartedly as she watched my mom. Rubbing my back, Lena began to speak.

                “Stef we have to call the police.” Nothing came from my mom though. She was unmoving, solid, and distant.

                “Mom I’m sorry, please help though. What if I got her killed?” I cried. This was one of those moments when I felt like I was 3 again, looking up to my mom to fix everything. I just wanted a hug, and a speech about how we can’t control who we love. My mom knows best about that subject. I want her to help me find Callie and to adopt her and Jude. I want her to fix this mess.

                “I’m going to the station, give me the shirt,” she finally whispered, her voice shaking. I handed her the piece of fabric and she clutched it tightly between her palm and her fingers. Some tears fell from her eyes and then she was rushing out the door, Lena and I following her.

                “I’m coming,” I said.

                “I should stay with Jude and the twins,” Lena said softly as she rubbed my shoulder.

                “Okay,” my mom replied so softly. We climbed into her car, her hand still wrapped around the shirt and then we sped out onto the cold streets.

                The station was almost vacant , with only a few cops watching out for the city. “Mike,” my mom called as we entered the dark building. “It’s Callie,” she whispered. His eyes widened as he stood up from his desk and looked at the shirt. “I think Liam killed her.”

                I felt my knees go weak and felt the earth below me disappear. I didn’t faint nor fall, but I left my body; or at least that’s what it felt like. My mom put her arm around and my dad took the shirt into another room. I tried to open my mouth and speak. I needed to apologize, but I didn’t have control of my body. Finally I managed to choke out the beginning of my apology.“Mom I’m sorry I ki-“

                “We’ll talk about this later. We need to find Callie right now.”

                Sitting in a chair while my mom and dad ran scans on the shirt was nerve wracking.  I felt like one of those hopeless people trying to find that glimmer of hope. When my mom and dad returned they both had sad smiles on their faces.

                “The good news is that it’s not Callie’s blood.” My mom tried to look a little more joyful as she said this.

                “The bad news is it’s not Callie’s which means we’re back at square one.” My dad sighed and patted my back, my eyes gluing to thin air as I drifted to space.

                I cannot lose her now.

I’m so flipping tireddd like ugh man this cannot be happening. Sigh. I’m writing this like a day before I post it mhmm. It’s currently midnight so I’m going to hit the hay

5 comments and 10 votes