Chapter 1

Brandon’s POV

                As our dysfunctional family sat around the breakfast table, trying to make sense of everything, I finally realized the reality that Callie had run away because of me. I had driven her to run, leading her away from the happy ending she was so close to getting! My family didn’t know, and the fear had been eating away at them for the past hour. “We need to call the police,” my mom said, her eyes meeting with Lena’s as they both agreed.

                “Just not you,” Lena whispered; her voice choking as she remembered how recently my mom had been shot just below her breast. We all nodded and my mom sighed.

                “Of course not,” she replied, stiffening her posture. “We need to get her back though.” The way she said her, made a shiver run down my spine. They had taken ownership over her as their own, which means that I’ve inflicted this pain on not only Callie, but everyone else. My eyes fell to the ground when I heard a sob coming from beside me. Jude was crying, his eyes red and bloodshot, his posture hunched over so I could barely see his face.

                “Jude, we’ll find her,” Lena told him, wrapping an arm around his shoulder and squeezing him tightly against her. He couldn’t get a reply in between sobs so he just lent against Lena as my mom dialed the police.

                The police filed a report but of course there wasn’t much they could do. My mom knew this, but figured giving it a shot might help them. I thought about taking matters into my own hands, running after Callie. The only problem was I had no idea which direction she ran in? She always made quick decisions that nobody would expect. I pondered some ideas, but nothing came to me. There was no one, and nowhere to go.

I sighed, running my hand through my hair as I sat at the kitchen table, my eyes glued to the cold slice of pizza I was trying to force down my throat. I lost my appetite when Callie left, as if she took my yearn for life with her.

“Hey B,” Lena said walking into the kitchen with a stressed look plastered across her face.

“Hi,” I replied gently, shoving another bit of pizza into my mouth.

“Your mom and I, we were thinking that maybe you had an idea where Callie was?” Her eyes focused in on me, but in a gentle way.

“No I don’t think so.” My voice was hoarse and I couldn’t speak regularly.

“Alright, well maybe you could ask Wyatt at school tomorrow? She might be at his house…” her voice trailed off.

“Yeah I’ll do that,” I replied.

“Good.” She smiled at me gratefully and then scooted out of the kitchen.

Short short short, you don’t need to tell me. I’m sorry, just wanted to something up.

5 comments and 8 votes for me to start writing the next! J