Chapter 29: I Promise

{Austin}

"Calli's awake."

Two simple words; combine them and they have more power than imagined. Two words that send me to my knees. Two words that force sobs out of everyone in that hallway. Two words.

I fall straight to my knees, with my head in my hands. Mrs. Kelly screams out a sob. No one can comprehend what just happened in there. I'm pretty sure none of us care about that; all we care about is Calli is awake.

"Can we see her?" Mrs. Kelly asks. "I need to see my baby."

"Of course." Her doctor says. "But she's asked for specific people right now. She doesn't exactly know who is here, so don't get offended if you aren't one of them. Also she doesn't fully understand what happened that night. That's why first she wants to see Grey and Austin. Kelly and Nathan you will be next to go in."

I'm afraid to go in there. I don't think I can explain to her what's happened over the past seven months. I take Grey's hand in mine, and slowly we walk through the door. I look around the corner and she's laying in bed, with a nurse talking to her. The nurse looks up and smiles at me. Calli turn her head towards the door. Her eyes instantly light up.

"Hi." She says. Her voice sounds different from not using it for seven months, but it's still as clear as ever.

Grey shuffles over to Calli's bed. "Calli?" He mumbles.

Her eyes fill with tears. "Hi buddy."

"Mizz yew Calli." He manages to say.

Calli smiles. "I miss you too Grey." She looks at his thumb going up to his mouth. "No more of that ok?"

Grey nods his head and walks out the door.

I shove my hands in my pockets and Calli looks over at me. "He's never been good with conversations."

"I know baby." I whisper, trying to hold back more tears.

"Have you been crying?" She asks quietly.

I nod, choking back the sob. "More than you'd believe."

"I know what today is." She whispers. "The doctor told me."

I smile slightly. "I hated that they chose today of all days to do this, but now I'm thankful that they did choose it." I walk over to the bed and take her hand. "Now I can spend our anniversary kissing you and telling you how much I love you." I lean down and softly kiss her lips. When I pull away I keep my forehead resting on hers.

"I heard everything you said to me." She whispers.

I pull away and stare at her. "You did?" Tears escape my eyes before I have a chance to stop you.

She nods. "Austin I wanted to wake up that first day, but I couldn't. I wanted to scream. I just wanted something to happen, so you could know I heard everything." Tears stream down her cheeks. "I love you so much."

I let out the sob I've held in for her. "You have no idea how good it is to finally hear you saying that. I love you so much Calli." I lean down and kiss her again, but we're interrupted by the door opening and closing.

Mrs. Kelly and Nathan walk in holding hands.

"Hi mama. Hi Nathan." Calli whispers through her tears.

Mrs. Kelly runs to Calli, allowing her sobs to escape. Nathan walks over to Calli, tears escaping his own eyes as well.

I walk out the door letting them have their few moments together. I look up and see my three best friends smiling at me. I step toward them and they wrap their arms around me. Sarah joins in on our group hug. We let go, and I find myself once again wiping my eyes.