Chapter 7: Starting Over

I spend the rest of Sunday, and all the way through Tuesday at Beth's house. Sunday night we snuck back into my house to get the things I'd need for school. Tuesday we don't have dance practice after school, so Demi, Beth, and I sneak into my house while my mom is at work.

This isn't the first time my mom's kicked me out of the house. Over the summer she locked me out of the house after I told her she needed to pick herself up and take care of her children. I was kicked out for three or four days, so this is nothing new to me.

We've managed to get all of my stuff I'll need before my mom makes it home; but I run back in the house and go to Grey's room. On his dresser is one of his favorite toys. It's a tape recorder, that he used to carry around everywhere. It came with three tapes. Only one taped has been used and it has our dad's voice singing us both to sleep. He made it when Grey was three and I was eleven, we were in the middle of a hurricane and we were having trouble sleeping. I click the play button and hear my dad's sweet voice singing.

"I could stay awake just to hear you breathing. Watch you smile while you are sleeping. While you're far away and dreaming.."

I let the few tears I have spill out before I take out my dad's tape and put in one of the blank ones. I press the record button and speak to Grey.

"Hi Grey, it's Calli. I miss you so much buddy. I hope you're doing great. I'll be back soon, I promise." My voice cracks at the end. "I'm so proud of you Bubba. I love you so much." I stop the recording and fix up my face before running out the door.

The next day is my last day at school. I say goodbye to my teachers, and I thank the ones that supported me in my dreams. It's a tearful goodbye for everyone but me. I don't have it in me to cry in front of everyone else. Back at Beth's house my two best friends and I throw my stuff in the car. Once we're done we lay on Beth's bed and reminisce about our friendship. Beth being the emotional one in this relationship starts crying.

"Beth come one, it's only six months." I tell her.

"Six months is a long ass time when we've been inseparable since we we're five!" She says through tears. "I don't know what I'm going to do without you."

I wrap my arm around her neck and squeeze her. "You have Demi, and Scott. They'll look after you."

Scott is Demi's older brother and Beth's boyfriend. We all grew up together, but Beth and Scott have always been closer. They started dating when we we're in eighth grade and he was a freshman. We all saw it coming, except for them of course.

"It's not the same." Beth cries. "They don't have the same motherly love you have!"

I look at Beth with tears in my eyes. "How can I leave you?"

"Don't even think that Calli." Demi says. "You're going. Beth will be perfectly fine. Scott and I will take care of her."

Suddenly the door opens and in walks Scott. He is completely identical to Demi. Both of them have thick, curly, brown hair and piercing blue eyes. Scott walks over to Demi and pushes her away from Beth and wraps his arm around her shoulders.

"Stop being a baby, Beth." He says. "You're going to Skype, and talk everyday and you know it."

"See!" Beth squeals. "They're so mean to me."

"No they have tough love." I tell her. "But if they get too mean let me know and I'll take care of them."

The four of us spend the rest of the night looking back, and saying our tearful goodbyes. The next morning I leave by myself. Austin's mom wanted us to meet at the Austin airport and we would fly out to Florida to meet the other dancers and prepare for the tour. At the airport Austin is ganging up on Dave and practically failing at beating him up. The other four dancers stand off together talking to each other. I'm sitting by myself listening to the Aerosmith song my dad sang to Grey and I when our flight is called to board.