Chapter 14: Liar, Liar

The next stop in Dallas is the last one before we take a break for a week. We'll spend five days in Dallas before we move on to New Mexico. Austin and I spend the few days going out, and doing whatever we can. His fans are starting to be nicer to me. A few we meet in Dallas have kind things to say about my dad's death, and how sorry they are.

The last night in the hotel we're laying on the bed in his room watching a movie. My head lays on his chest, my hand gripping his shirt. He has one arm around my shoulder, the other hand plays with my fingers on his chest. I'm slowly falling asleep when I hear the door close. Austin's body shifts underneath me. I'm too tired to open my eyes, so I listen.

"Is she asleep?" Michelle whispers.

"Yeah. I think she just fell asleep." Austin responds. "Sorry its late, we've just been watching movies all night."

The bed shifts and Michelle's voice is closer. "How's she doing?"

"I think she's ok. I mean she's better than when we were in Austin." Austin answers.

"I'm glad to hear that." She says. There's tension in her voice.

"Is everything ok, mom?" Austin asks.

"No.' She says. "I just look at you two, and I can see how much you care for her."

Austin chuckles. "Yeah I really do."

"But does she care for you the same way?"

Austin's whole body stiffens. "What are you talking about?"

"I saw something today, about Calli, and it got me thinking." She pauses. "Calli hated you before the tour started. She wanted nothing to do with you. And now all of a sudden, she's infatuated with you. It just doesn't make sense."

"We started talking, and we got closer." He says sternly. "It wasn't all of a sudden, it took time."

"Yes, but it was after the tour had started." She sighs. "And now she's getting all of this attention, people are liking her, she could become famous. Did you know she's been getting letters from dance companies? They're practically begging her to join their school."

What letters? I haven't gotten anything from schools recruiting me. Why is she implying that I'm using Austin? Of course, I care about him. But I guess I haven't really shown that lately, maybe I should try that more.

"You think she's using me?" Austin asks. His voice sounds defeated. "But she wouldn't do that. I know she wouldn't."

"I'm just letting you know what I've heard." Michelle says. The bed shifts as she stands.

"Mom?" Austin calls. "Who did you hear it from?"

"Someone tweeted me that today." She responds. "I'm not entirely sure who though."

The door closes again, and Austin lets out a heavy sigh. His arm moves from my shoulders. I let go of his shirt and open my eyes.

"How much of that did you hear?" He asks.

"All of it." I whisper. I sit up to look at him. "You have to know its not true."

"What part of it?" He asks bitterly.

I flinch. "All of it." I put a hand on his cheek, but he moves. "I would never use you like that. I do care about you, so much." He stands up and goes to the closet door, putting both hands on the door frame. "You have to believe me." I whisper through tears.

Austin turns around quickly, tears filling his own eyes. "How am I supposed to? My mom's right, it doesn't make sense how you can hate me for two months, and then quickly change to having feelings for me." He steps toward the bed. "Are you really getting letters from dance companies wanting you?"

I crawl across the bed closer to him. I grab his face and force him to look at me. "Austin, someone is lying to your mom. I don't know who, but someone is."  Tears leak out of my eyes. "I don't know what else I can say to make you believe me." I let go of his face and climb off the bed, grabbing my bag and running out the door.

Once in my room, I slam the door behind me and fall to the floor sobbing.

{Austin}

Calli runs out the door. I can't chase her, not after what I just accused her of. I sit on the bed finally letting the tears I was holding back escape. I don't want to lose Calli, but I don't know what I'm supposed to believe.

The door opens and closes. I look up and see Dave walking towards the bed.

"What's up little bro?" He asks sitting beside me.

"Calli and I got into a semi fight." I sigh. "And I think I blew it."

"I'm sure you didn't blow it." Dave says. "Calli cares a lot about you. She might be hurting, but I guarantee you didn't lose her."

"You don't understand." I say pushing off the bed. "I basically accused her of using me to get famous, because that's what my mom said."

"What did your mom say?" He asks.

I sit down next to him again and tell him the conversations between my mom and I, then mine and Calli's argument.

He sighs at the end. "Well that's tough." Dave looks at me. "Do you think she's lying, or using you?"

I sigh and fall onto the bed. "I don't know. Part of me knows she's not, but its happened to me before. Why wouldn't it happen again?"

"Because Calli isn't like that?"  He answers. "I don't know if she is now, but that girl is falling in love with you. Everyone can see it when she looks at you, and you look at her the same way. Every girl dreams of being looked at like that."

I smile slightly at the though of Calli falling in love with me. My smile goes away as quickly as it came. "But who would make up such an elaborate lie to ruin our relationship like that?"

Dave just looks at me. "I'm not saying its them, but who's had it out for Calli ever since she got here?"

Then it clicks. Maddi and Monica. They've been trying to sabotage everything about Calli from her confidence to our relationship since the beginning. I run out of them room, down the hall to Calli's room.  I try the doorknob, and luckily its unlocked. I slowly open it and walk inside, seeing Calli sitting up against the wall sobbing her heart out.

Damn I feel like a jerk now. I sit down next to her and wrap an arm around her shoulder. Instinctively she leans her head towards mine. Our foreheads meet.

'I'm so sorry." I whisper. "I should've believed you."

Her sobs quiet, but she doesn't say anything.

"In the past something like this happened and I just thought, you know it could happen again."

Calli looks up, wiping her face. "What happened?" Her voice, and the pain in her eyes breaks my heart.

"I dated a girl, shortly after my videos started getting more and more popular. She liked the attention she got from the people that liked my covers." I sigh before going on. "When I got signed, she said she'd stick by me. She even said she loved me. I believed her and we continued dating for a few more months. One day, my twitter started blowing up. I scrolled through my mentions and saw that she was saying horrible things about my fans, my music, and even me." I wipe my eyes, trying to block the memory. "I don't know, I guess I just didn't expect it from her, and when I think of you I don't expect it either."

Calli loops her arms through mine and rests her head on my shoulder. "I promise, I will never do that. I will never use you, or lie to you like that."

I kiss the top of her head. "I know that now." 

She and I sit on the floor holding each other for a few more minutes before I have to get back to my room. I stand in the doorway kissing her goodnight, when I remember what Dave said.

that girl is falling in love with you.

We say goodnight and I walk the long walk back to my room. Once I'm in my bed trying to fall asleep, I think of Calli, and again what Dave said. I fall asleep with a smile on my face realizing, that I too am falling in love with this beautiful girl.