Chapter 4: What Shouldn't Have Happened

{Austin}

I step off of the plane, and take in the beautiful Austin scenery. It's not San Antonio, but it's pretty close. I love touring all around the world, and living in Florida but its always nice to come back home to my roots. My mom and Dave follow off the plane. Once we've grabbed our luggage, we make our way to the car that's taking us to the hotel.

I have to prepare for my show tonight. It's the first time I won't be opening for someone else. My own headlining tour. I still can't get over the feeling of all this. Sometimes it still feels like I'm in my room recording covers, instead of selling out stadiums singing my own songs. After rehearsal and sound check, Dave and I make our way to a mall where a dance contest is going on. People continuously look at me. I have on one of my snapbacks, a jacket with the hood on, and sunglasses. Dave said I needed a disguise so I wouldn't be a distraction to any of the dancers.

The contest is just about over when the last dancer is called on stage. Even from the far distance I am from the stage, I can see how beautiful she is. She walks out wearing a white dress that's tattered at the bottom. Her wavy hairs flows down her back with two braids on one side. I can't take my eyes off of her.

Dave elbows me in side. "Close your mouth. You're drooling." He chuckles at me.

I give him a look and hit him back, before turning back to the stage.

"Callista Owens you may begin." The announcer says.

She nods before raising both hands in the air and leaning backwards. One hand hits the floor, the other stays in the air; she poses in the bridge position for a few seconds before the music starts. I instantly recognize the song.

"When you try your best, but you don't succeed.."

I watch her routine, my eyes refusing to stop watching her. Her legs reach straight up the side of her head. She moves so gracefully. My hands reach up pushing my hood off, and taking off my sunglasses so I can get a better look at her. Big mistake.

"Oh my God! It's Austin Mahone!" A girl yells. Out of instinct Dave runs in front of me to block the screaming girls.

Hundreds of heads turn to face me. I smile nervously at everyone. The music has stopped and the girl stands at the center of the stage staring at me. Other girls run at me screaming my name, digging through bags for me to sign something.

I sign the autographs and take pictures before a voice comes over the speakers.

"Everyone please return to your seats or backstage where you're supposed to be. Callista you're done. Thank you."

Her jaw drops and her fists clench at her sides. She walks off the stage without a single applause.

{Calli}

I walk off the stage fuming. What the hell just happened? How is it my luck that the day after I find out who Austin Mahone is, he happens to show up at my contest and ruin everything? Once I'm backstage I run out the doors of the mall and sit on the curb. I sit and I cry. I cry for my dad who didn't get to see me compete in this. I cry for my mom, who actually got out of the house to come see me. I cry for the jerk in there that ruined everything.

"Cal?" A voice softly says.

I turn around wiping the tears off my face, and see Beth standing outside.

"What?" I spit out.

She comes to sit by me. "Don't be upset." She says rubbing my back. "You did great. Your routine was good."

"Yeah until that douche in there had to ruin everything." I say.

"Calli. He's not a douche. He didn't do it on purpose. He-"

"He what" I interrupt her. "He took off his lousy disguise and everyone stopped watching me to look at him. He's a celebrity. He loves the limelight."

Beth takes my hand and pulls me up. We walk inside the mall again and line up on the stage. The fifteen winners are announced. When my name isn't called my stomach twists, and all I want to do is scream and cry. I look out at my mom and Grey. Mom has a smile plastered on her face, but I know how fake it is. Grey claps his hands and waves excitedly at me. Tears sting at my eyes again. What I wouldn't give to trade places with him for a day. To never feel the sting of pain. To be happy all the time.

I walk off the stage to join my mom, but she and Grey have already left to go to the car. Grey can't handle big crowds cluttered together. I pick up my bag of stuff and walk towards the front doors of the mall.

I'm stopped by a rather large and attractive man with tattoos on his arms. He towers over me. He definitely was a football player in his past life.

"You're Callista right?" He asks.

"It's Calli." I correct him.

He smiles. "Sorry. I just remember the announcer calling you Callista."

"I hate that name. I go by Calli." I say. "Do you need something? Because I need to go." I know I'm being unnecessarily rude, but I'm in no mood to be nice to a stranger calling me by my real name.

"Actually yes. I saw your routine, and I thought it was brilliant." He says. 

"Even though some jerk interrupted it?"

He chuckles. "Even though. Anyway I feel bad about what happened, so I wanted to make it up to you." He fishes into his pockets. I know out of instinct I should've run. Random stranger digging in his pockets, definitely signals a red flag. But  I stayed. He pulls out what looks like tickets. "Here are three tickets to Austin Mahone's concert tonight, with backstage passes. You should come."

I stare at the tickets now in my hands. "Why would I come to the concert of the guy that just killed my only dream?" I ask.

He laughs again. "You never know what could happen at this concert. It just might change your life." He smiles at me before walking away.

 I watch the man walk away, holding onto the tickets. Demi and Beth walk up to me.

"What was that about?" Demi asks.

I look at both of them. "I guess we're going to see Austin Mahone tonight." I say holding up the tickets.