Chapter 6: Surprises

{Austin}

To say I was surprised when I saw Calli walk through the door, is an understatement. I'm still in denial that she is even here. She sits in the corner by herself stretching while others stand off to one side gossiping and squealing about me.

I walk out in the seats and look at the people on stage. There's mainly girls since I'm just now adding a few girls to the tour. The girls see me and start cheering and screaming. I hope this doesn't last all day. I think to myself.

Don't get me wrong, I love all of my fans. I'd never be this successful without their support, but sometimes the screaming gets out of hand.

I smile at everyone and wave. Finally, when the cheering dies down Dave hands me a microphone to talk to them.

"How's it going everyone?" I ask them.

There's a loud garble of answers.

"Good, good." I chuckle. "Today you will learn the routine from my What About Love music video. At the end I'm picking three girls, and two guys to come join me on tour. I won't be alone in picking though."

The door opens and my backup dancers walk out, along with my mom, my manager and Dave.

"They will be helping as well. So I wish you all the best of luck." I turn off the microphone and go sit a few rows back with everyone else. The choreographer walks out and introduces himself to everyone. As he goes through the basic steps we weed out the people that aren't learning fast enough. My eyes are locked on Calli. She picks up every move easily. I'm amazed at how quickly she's learning.

Finally, after three hours of rehearsing everyone is split into groups to perform for us. Calli's in the last group to go.

{Calli}

This work is so easy, I can do it with my eyes closed. Austin's mom split us up into groups. Mine is the last one to go. The music starts we begin the routine. The three girls and one guy I'm with are horrible. One girl continuously watches Austin, which only throws off her work even more. I get into the music better than I thought I would. Finally, the song is over and everyone lines up on stage.

Dave and Austin walk on stage with a piece of paper.

"You guys did awesome today. I'm sorry that we can't take all of you, but don't give up on dancing."

My palms are sweating like crazy, and I feel like my knees are about to give out. I just want him to say who's going on tour with him.

"So here are the three girls and two guys going on tour with us." He says. "Guys first we have Toby Harper and Calum Dodson. Now for the girls we have, Maddi Edwards, Monica Cameron, and Calli Owens." I look up at Austin with my eyes wide. I didn't actually think I'd make it. "So we leave in a week for the tour. It lasts six months and we'll travel all over the US. My mom has all of the information you'll need. You can get it from her when you leave."

Everyone breaks apart after Austin finishes his speech. I go to my bag and put everything away. I'm just about done when I hear Austin's voice say my name. His voice makes me jump, causing me to drop my phone and my dad's necklace.

Austin bends down to help me pick them up. "Sorry about that. Didn't mean to scare you." He chuckles.

I take my phone from him. "It's fine." I look around for the necklace and see he's still holding it. "Can I have that back please?"

He hands it back to me. "That's pretty cool. What's it for?"

"It was a gift to my dad, from my mom." I say looking at the ground.

Austin takes my hand and helps me stand back up. "I just wanted to come over and say you did a good job today. You were probably the best dancer we saw." He flashes another one of his million dollar smiles at me.

I smirk. "Well it's not that hard to be when all the other girls are easily distracted by you, and when the work is so easy a four year old could do it." I push past him and walk to the door.

"So I guess I'll see you next week?" He calls after me.

I turn around and smile at him. "I guess you will." I say before walking out the door.

Back at home my mom is fixing dinner for Grey. I walk through the door and hug my brother at the table.

"How'd it go today?" My mom asks not even looking back at me.

I sit in a seat next to Grey. "Pretty good actually. They, uhm, they offered me a spot on the tour.'

My mom's body tenses up before she turns to face me. "How long is it?"

"Six months. I leave next Thursday."

"I don't' want you going Calli." She blurts out.

"But why? Why did you let me audition if you weren't even going to let me go?" I ask.

"I didn't actually think you'd make it." She says laughing at me. "I mean this is a national tour Calli. You have to be good to get into this kind of business."

I feel like someone just stabbed me in the heart. "You don't think I'm good enough?" I choke out.

My mom stares at me. "Don't turn this around on me Calli. You know what everyone thinks of your stupid dreams."

Tears are stinging at my eyes. "They aren't stupid." I spit out. "Daddy didn't think it was stupid. Daddy believed in me. He thought I-"

"Well if you haven't noticed Calli, you father's dead. He has been for ten months, so don't you dare bring him into this!" She yells at me. "You need to grow up and forget about dancing. You'll never make it being as weak as you are."

I don't even bother to hide the tears anymore. I look over at Grey, and he's terrified. He's never been able to handle people screaming, or loud noises very well. I stand up and glare at my mom. "Well then I guess weakness runs in the family. I learned it from the best." I walk over to her. "You're a coward. You've neglected Grey and I for months. I know daddy's death was hard on you, but you need to look around. I'm stronger than you are. I'm going on that tour, and there's nothing you can do to stop me." I back away and walk toward the main entry.

The last thing I hear before slamming the door behind me is my mother's voice yelling. "If you leave this house, don't bother coming back. You won't be welcome back."

 I walk the short distance to Beth's house, and don't take a single glance back.