Chapter 12: Exposed

{Austin}

"We need a medic!" Dave screams.

Calli lays limp in my arms. She still isn't waking up. I don't think she's breathing either. I call her name, but she won't respond. Suddenly a hand rests on my back, urging me forward.

"Take her to the dressing room! A medic will be there soon!" A voice yells.

I carry Calli past the crew, hurrying to the dressing rooms. Once I'm in the room I lay her on the couch, trying not to move her too much. The door slams open and a medical crew crowds around her.

"She's breathing." One says. "She just started breathing."

"Her heart rate is increasing."

Another turns to me. "How long as she been unconscious?"

"I don't know." I say with a trembling voice. "Maybe five minutes."

"Take her blood pressure." The first man says looking at one of the female medics. He turns to another medic. "Take her blood sugar." Both move quickly. The first wraps a cuff around her arm, making it squeeze. The other pricks her finger.

"Both are normal." One of them says to the captain.

Suddenly Cali stirs and her eyes flutter open. She starts squirming, and screaming.

The sight scares me.

"Calli." I call. I try to move towards her, but the crew won't let me. They push me back as I try and fight them off. "Let me see her!" I yell. They push me out the door, slamming it behind them.

Five minutes later they come out with Calli on a stretcher, unconscious again.

"What happened?" I ask running towards her. "Where are you taking her?"

"She was sedated to keep her from thrashing and screaming. She needs to have tests done, so she's staying at the hospital tonight." The captain says.

"Let me come." I say, my voice cracking. "Please."

He puts his hand on my shoulder. "I'm sorry Austin you can't." He looks up at my mom. "We'll call in the morning when you can come see her."

I walk back to my mom feeling defeated. She puts her arms around my neck and pulls me closer to her. I wrap my arms around her and let the tears fall. I'm afraid for what they'll say is wrong with her. My mind runs through the day. Could I have known what was wrong with her? Could I have stopped this? Then I remember her hands shaking. That probably had something to do with it.

My mom lets go and leads me back to her room. We sit on the bed, waiting for the doctors to call. By the time it's almost five in the morning I can't keep my eyes open. Mom fell asleep around one, but I couldn't. Finally I succumb to sleep.

The phone ringing at eight wakes me up. I hear my mom get off the bed and answer it. I sit up, suddenly alert, trying to listen.

She turns to face me "Calli's awake."

{Calli}

 I'm wake up in a hospital bed, listening to the sound of the IV. I don't remember much about last night, except for the concert. The concert was great, everything went well. But after we walked off stage I can't remember. The doctors come in every now and then to check my blood pressure, and blood sugar. The medical captain, that apparently helped me last night, is sitting by the bed.

"Calli do you know why you passed out last night?" He asks.

"I passed out?" I say surprised. "When?"

"After the concert. You all were walking off stage when you passed out in Austin's arms." He says.

I put my hand up to my mouth. I know why I passed out, it just hasn't happened in years so I wasn't expecting it. I just feel horrible for Austin, having to experience that.