Chapter 9: That Girl

{Calli}

That night I lay in bed thinking of my day with Austin. I scroll through the pictures on my phone. I can't help but smile at all the ones of him. We had the best day together. I stay awake longer than I should, my mind wandering back to Austin.

The next morning we load up the buses and head out to the next show. We spend the next month going up the east coast before we make it to New York. Austin sold out Madison Square Garden in ten minutes. Everyone's pumped for this show. I'm just growing more and more nervous the closer it gets.

Austin and I spend pretty much every minute we're not rehearsing together. My wall I built to keep him out continues to fall down each day. It scares me too, I'm afraid I'll get too close and get hurt.

The day before the concert at MSG we have a day off. Austin and I walk around New York City. We're waking down the street when he stops all of a sudden.

"What's wrong?" I ask turning back to him.

"Nothing." He says with a smile on his face. "I have a surprise for you."

"What? I told you not to get me anyth-"

Austin puts his hand on my mouth to shut me up. "You've been annoying the crap out of me about this so I had too. Plus I won it. I didn't have to pay for it."

"What are you talking about?" I mumble over his hand.

He moves his hand and reaches into his pocket. He pulls out two tickets to see Rent on broadway. Rent is one of my favorite musicals and I've always dreamed of seeing it live in New York.

"We're going to see Rent tonight." Austin says with a smile in his face.

"Oh my god! Are you serious?" I squeal.

Austin nods his head and I lunge at him, throwing my arms around his neck. His arms are around my waist. I hear him chuckle as I bury my face in his neck.

"So I take it you're excited?" He says laughing at me.

I pull away smiling like an idiot. "Yeah I'm excited! When does it start?"

"Now." Austin says. He steps back and I see we're right in front of the Nokia Theater. He holds out his arm and I loop my arm through his.

The show is everything I've ever hoped it would be. Austin and I walk out after, raving about the show. On the walk back it starts snowing. I've never seen snow before so I start freaking out. I dance around and spin in circles enjoying the beautiful white snow.

Austin joins me, putting one hand on my waist while taking my hand in his.

"What are you doing?" I ask surprised by his actions.

"I've been practicing since Nashville. I think I've gotten better." He replies with a shy smile.

"There's no music." I say giggling.

As if on cue, from a cliche love story a slow Christmas song starts playing. I throw my head back and laugh at the irony.

"May I have this dance?" Austin asks looking down on me.

"You may." I say smiling up at him.

We dance on the sidewalk getting closer to each other with every step we take. I rest my head on his chest, he puts his head on top of mine. We stay like that for a moment before we both pull back. We stare into each other's eyes, just enjoying this moment.

"I never noticed how green your eyes were." Austin says. "I always thought they were more brown."

"They're hazel." I say. "They can change colors sometimes."