Chapter 33: Losing

{Calli}

The first night home is rough to say the least. At first I was excited to be back in my own bed, and my own room; but I hate it. All night I lay in one position, finding it impossible to get comfortable. My mom and Nathan come in room around nine the next morning. My mom helps me get bathed and dressed, while Nathan waits to carry me down the stairs. Once we're downstairs they load me into the wheelchair. This process is exhausting for me, so I can imagine how difficult it is for them. If it is they don't show it. At breakfast my mom tries to make conversation with me, just like any other day. But it's not.

After breakfast, Nathan takes Grey to school while my mom and I go to my physical therapy. It isn't really even physical therapy. It's a Spinal Cord Rehabilitation center a few miles into San Antonio. Dr. Richards said it's one of the best in Texas. Mom wheels me through the door and the first thing I see is a girl sitting at the front desk, looking a little too happy.

"Hi!" She greets. "Last name?"

"Owens." My mom responds. "For Calli."

She pulls out a file and skims through it. "Ok if you will follow me we can go meet your therapist." She opens the gate as my mom pushes me forward. Passing through the back I see dozens of people going through different trainings. The ages very from toddlers to the elderly.

In the very back I can faintly see a little boy, about three or four, have his crutches taken away. The doctor lets go of his hands and he takes his first step. The young mom kneels slightly in front of him, sobbing. He takes another step, followed by several more. He finally makes into his mother's arms and buries his face in her neck. I turn my face away from their moment.

The girl from the front leads us to a back room. "This is where you'll have a majority of your appointments until Marcus decides you're ready for different training." She says. "For now he's just going to help you live a normal life in your chair."

"When can I try walking?" I ask.

She opens and closes her mouth a few times. "As soon as Marcus thinks you're strong enough to handle it." She opens the door to walk out and avoid my other questions. "Well he'll be with you shortly. My name is Natalie. If you have any questions come talk to me." She closes the door behind her.

Not even a minute later a tall, and young guy walks into the room. He's built like a wrestler. All I can do is stare at his biceps. "Hi Calli." He says closing the door behind him. "Is this your mom?"

I nod my head.

My mom extends her hand. "Hi. Kelly." She says.

"Well I'm Marcus." He says sitting in one of the seats across from me. "Today's going to be fairly easy for you Calli. I can imagine you want to jump right into building your strength back right?"

I nod again. "I want to be able to walk again." I whisper.

He smiles softly at me. "Don't worry, I will make it my own goal to make sure that happens. But it will take a lot of time before that can happen."

"You actually think I can walk again?" I ask shocked. "Or is that what you're supposed to say to make this easier on me."

He smiles again. "No, I have faith. Now let's get started."

For the next hour and a half he and my mom talk about my scheduling. They want me back in school as soon as possible to help me feel the normalcy once again. Marcus also wants me to try and get myself in and out of the wheelchair every now and then. If I want to lay on the couch or lay in bed I need to try by myself. He helps me figure out my pain tolerance, and just how much weight my arms can still support. Thankfully I didn't lose all of my upper body strength. I can barely handle my own weight, given I lost quite a bit of weight while being in the coma.