Chapter 19: The Call

{Calli}

Leaving Austin was a mistake. But being with him was a mistake as well. On my plane ride home I let Demi know that I'm coming back early. I get an earful of questions that I can't answer. She wants to know everything, but answering only brings tears to my eyes. Once my plane lands I make my way to baggage claim, and the first thing I see is Demi. I run into her arms and finally let my tears take over. My side is aching from the running and sobbing combination. She leads me to her car where Beth is sitting in the front seat. She climbs out and hugs me. I squeeze her back before the three of us load up the car.

Back at my house I get to see Grey and my mom. I finally get to meet Nathan, and he seems decent enough. Actually he's perfect for her. He actually proposed to my mom in January. They're planning for an April-end of March wedding. So close to my birthday. Tonight, they had a date planned, along with Grey, so they leave. Demi and Beth stay with me to get the details. I start with the beginning, how Maddi had been out to get me, and her jealousy. I mention Austin, and how much it hurts to be home without him. He calls frequently, but I can't answer it. Hearing his voice will shatter me completely.

I came back halfway through Spring Break, so once the break is over I'm back at school. I'm greeted by my friends, all asking how the tour was, and what its like dating Austin. That last question is the hardest one. I get to my first period class with Mr. Finch, instantly making this day horrible. He turns around from the board and see me sitting in my normal seat.

"Ah Calli.' He says. "I heard you were back. I thought we weren't supposed to see you for another three or four weeks?"

Everyone turns and stares at me. Tears fill my eyes. I swallow the lump in my throat to answer. "I came back early. It wasn't working out for me."

"That's right!" He exclaims. "I heard you were in a nasty accident. What happened?"

"I was dropped by my dance partner. He slipped on water and fell. He couldn't catch me, so I hit my head and suffered t a concussion. Along with a broken wrist, and fractured rib." I can't keep my voice steady no matter how hard I try.

"Wow, that must've been painful." Sarcasm floods his voice. He looks around at the class. "Now everyone Calli is the perfect example of why we shouldn't have dreams too big." He stares in my eyes. "Because all you get is heartbreak." He breaks his glare. "Now let's get started."

I put my head on my desk and let the sobs control me. The rest of the day is like that, except for my performance class. Since I can't dance Mrs. Garcia wants me to try out singing. I tried a few times before I left. She always thought I had the potential, with a little practice. I sing the song she picked out. It hurts every now and then hitting the high notes, and singing from my diaphragm. I finish and everyone stares in awe.

"Calli, your voice has gotten so much stronger." She boasts. 'I'm very impressed."

At the end of class she gives an assignment. We have three weeks to pick a song that "speaks to us.' We have to really feel from this song, and perform it for the annual April Performance show, we put on for the town. In my dance class we have the same assignment, of course I can't do it though. Miss Hayes informs me that I can perform it after my rib is healed though.

The next two weeks go by like hell. I'm missing Austin more than anything. It hurts that I ended it the way I did. I cling to my pillow every night, crying my heart out. My mom hears sometimes and lays with me, until I've cried myself to sleep.

I get hate mail from Austin's fans daily. All of them say that I broke their hero's heart. I've been getting death threats lately as well. Those hurt the worst. The fact that they feel the need to tell me that no one would miss me when I die, is heart wrenching. I've thought about it a dozen times, at least, but I'd never tell anyone that.