Time to face the music

Zoe's POV

By the time we got to the hospital Nicole was well into labour and we could hear her screams from down the hall. Liam held onto my hand and gave it a comforting squeeze.

"You ready to see her?" He asked.

"Ready as I'll ever be" I sighed and we walked down the corridor towards Nicole's hospital room.

Liam knocked on the door and Niall opened it. Liam gave Niall and big smile and they exchanged a hug.

Niall then turned to me and I gave him a proud smile which caused him to wrap his arms tightly around me. I rubbed his back and could literally feel his nerves radiating off of him. I mean his child was about to be born, I couldn't really blame him.

Niall and Liam went outside, probably to talk about what Niall had done to himself while Nicole was away. And this left me alone with Nicole.

"Hey" I said awkwardly, still very mad at her.

"Zoe?" She asked.

"Yeah?"

"Zoe...I'm sorry...for leaving like that. It wasn't planned. I never wanted to leave unexpectedly. I never meant to use Niall..."

"Do you know how much you hurt him?" I asked, tears threatening to spill from my eyes as I remembered what Niall had put himself through.

"As much as it hurt me to leave" she sighed.

"If it hurt so much? Why...why do it?" I asked, tears flowing down my cheeks and not stopping.

I wasn't just talking about her leaving. It was about Niall. And his scars. She knew what he had done, she had found out.

"Zoe...sometimes...you feel like you have no choice, like there is no other way out. You feel like you deserve pain, and no one else is doing it for you, so you do it yourself" she whispered the last part.

We then just sat in silence while I thought about what she said. I still couldn't forget what she did. But maybe I could give her a chance? If she did it again though, she was never going to hurt my big brother again.

Suddenly she gasped in pain and clutched at her stomach, starting to breath heavily. I stood up quickly and looked around for the button to call the doctor. Nicole's screams made me even more hasty and I finally found it, pressing it multiple times.

The doctors were in the room in less than a minute and I was hurried out by one of the nurses.

As I stepped out the door I noticed Niall and Liam walking up the corridor. Both of them were smiling and laughing which meant that the conversation had obviously gone well.

"Zo?" Niall asked when he saw me. "I thought you were staying with Nicole?"

"I was, but then she started screaming and the doctors told me to leave the room. I think the baby is well on its way" I said and noticed the fear flood his eyes.

"Niall it's going to be fine" Liam put an arm around Niall's shoulders.

"But the baby's really early" Niall bit his fingernail nervously. "What happens if she doesn't make it? What happens if either of them don't make it?"

"Dude, would you chill your tits?" Louis's voice made us all turn our heads towards him.

He came striding up the hallway, hand in hand with Eleanor. When he approached us he looked at me and smirked.

"And here we have the rebel child" he chuckled and I was relieved that he wasn't mad at me.

"Louis, I'm so glad you're not-"