Try again

Zoe's POV

The next day Sandra and I managed to get to school without any water being poured over anyone. We were in the middle of third period when a lady from reception walked into the classroom and spoke quietly to the teacher.

"Okay thank you" the teacher nodded and the lady left. "Zoe could you please take your bags to the office please"

"Um, yeah" I said, shocked at the randomness of the situation.

I quickly gathered up my things and gave Sandra a wave before heading out the classroom and walking towards the office. When I got there Liam was stood by the door with his car keys in his hands. When he spotted me he smiled weakly and made his way towards me.

"Hey Zo" he said softly, putting a hand on my back and leading me out of the office and towards the car park.

"Liam, has something happened?" I asked worriedly.

"I'm afraid so Zoe" he sighed.

"No ones hurt are they?"

"No, not to hurt. Just upset" he explained and I became even more confused. "Nicole went for a visit at the doctors today"

"And?" I asked but I think I already knew the answer.

"She's lost the baby Zoe, through a miscarriage" Liam said sadly.

"Oh my god" I said breathlessly, leaning back in the seat of the car when we climbed in. "Who else knows?"

"Just Louis, Harry and I" Liam said. "Nicole's going to tell Riley but she hasn't told Niall yet and I'm starting to worry about what his reaction will be"

"It's not going to make it any better if she waits even longer"

"I think it's hard for her. I mean Niall was so excited about becoming a father. I remember when he stayed over at our house one night he woke me up at two in the morning just to remind me that he was going to be a dad" Liam smiled and chuckled at the memory but the happiness quickly faded. "But now he's not going to be"

"Can't they try again?" I asked.

"The thing is Zo, after something like this Nicole might not want to try again. Although the baby was only a couple of weeks old it was still theirs, their own child. And now it's gone"

"I guess when you put it like that" I sighed and noticed we were pulling up at the house. "Why do we have to deal with so much crap in our lives?"

"Sometimes that's just the way it is" Liam pointed out as we walked up the house. "Nicole's up in Niall's room. Niall's gone out with Louis for the afternoon but he'll be back very soon. I want you to talk to both of them"

"Why me?"

"Because you're like our little motivator" Liam chuckled and pinched my cheeks.

"Thanks Liam" I said sarcastically, taking off my shoes.

I placed them nearly under the coat rack which there was really no point in doing. The boys just liked to throw their shoes where ever they wanted to. Like I found one of Harry's shoes in the fridge the other day, but maybe he was just trying to climb into it. Again.

"I'll be down soon" I said and he nodded, walking towards the kitchen.

I hopped upstairs and dropped my bag into my room before making my way tentatively over to Niall and Nicole's room. I tapped my knuckles lightly on the door and listened for a response.

"Who is it?" A tired voice asked.

"Zoe" I said softly.

"Oh Zoe, come in" Nicole said and I opened the door.