Generator Rex : Loss - Part 5

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the Generator Rex Characters or franchise. Everything that happens in this fan-fiction, hence the name, from an avid fan for fans who would like some more generator rex content.

The fanart above was created by emls479! You can find her at : http://emls479.deviantart.com/

WARNING: This might contain spoilers, so if you haven't watched the show or finished the show and do not want spoilers, do NOT read this. I'm not sure if it does contain spoilers, but better safe than sorry; come back after watching season one because this is before the second and third season.

Time: This fan-fiction takes place after the last episode of season one, after they rebuilt providence.

  ******************************************************************  

Generator Rex : Loss – Part 5

"Why couldn't I just cure it?" Rex, this time, was the one seated on the examination table with the girl hovering near him, her head drooping off every so often, and then snapping back up, only to slowly fall again. Holiday approached him and firmly pressed a patch onto the cut on his cheek. "Ow! Doc, can't you be a bit gentler? I'm fragile!"

She simply smiled knowingly, amused at his usual sick patient act, and reached behind her, grabbing a needle and syringe.

"Hold still, Rex. White wanted us to try and duplicate its camouflaging properties for new technology that can be used on the field."

"Really? Cool! Stealth Suits! Or... or..." Rex's eyes widened along with his grin. "Invisible cars! You have to get me one!"

His eyes scrunched briefly as Holiday injected a protection agent - a secondary measure for any possible bacteria from the cut that his nanites might not be able to counteract - and then they were done.

"We'll see. Okay, you're all set, Rex. Get some sleep, it's late."

Rex yawned and the girl followed suit as Holiday gazed at the two. Taking the girl's hand, he led her out of the lab towards his room, but a call from Holiday stopped him.

"Rex, wait. I just remembered." He turned around while the girl stayed near the door, eyes closing every so often. He hoped she would make it back to the room without collapsing.

"What's up?"

"How are you feeling?"

"Uh, didn't you already ask me that? I'm just tired."

"Hmmm... okay. It's just that your bio readings were acting strange."

"Can't this wait until tomorrow? We're both about to drop."

The corners of her lips rose at this statement. Rex was unknowingly acting more and more like an over protective, doting older brother.

"Okay, here." She handed him a pack of crayons and a sketch book. He took them skeptically.

"Is this for some kind of experiment? A new weapon?" Holiday rolled her eyes.

"It's for the girl. She's going to be bored with nothing to do all day. Give them to her for me, okay? Night, Rex."

"Will do, Doc. Night." He walked towards the exit and took the girl's hand again. She was swaying on her feet and was walking really slowly; well no wonder, it had been a long day.

They were about half way back to his room when she stopped, nearly toppling over.

"Hey, are you okay? We're almost there."

She rubbed her eyes and nodded, but nearly dropped off again. They wouldn't get anywhere at this rate. With a shrug, he lifted her up onto his back and she hugged him tight all the way back to his room; Rex walking quickly through the empty, silent white hallways. Six had apparently already set up another cot near Rex's bed so he laid her on it. She stirred a bit, but went to sleep right away. With a soft, silly smile, he pulled the blankets over her.

"Bah... sappy stuff. I'm gonna' hurl." Bobo was hanging over one of the steel pipes. "Ugg... that might be the chimichangas talking though... Bad idea to go hard on the hot sauce..."

Rex switched off the lights and flopped into his own bed with a whump.

"Night Bobo."

...

Later that night, Rex awoke to a strange noise. He wasn't sure what it was, it didn't sound like any repairs or anything. Someone was in the room. Who...? Then he remembered the girl. Sleepily rolling over, he saw her curled up and trembling like a small kitten. At Rex's rustling, she looked up and he saw she was silently crying, tears streaking down her cheeks.

"What's wrong?"

She shook her head and curled up even tighter. Rex felt a pang in his chest at seeing her so frightened. It must have been one doozy of a nightmare. Rex sighed and raised up the edge his blanket.

"Come here."

Maybe having company would make her feel safer. A lot of people had nightmares about turning into the monsters they feared most, and he remembered his own time at Providence, waking up not knowing who he was, surrounded by strangers, alone. At least now he had Holiday, Bobo, and Six. She must have been having a rough time without family and not being able to communicate. At his invitation, she dived in and curled up next to him. To be frank, it was a little uncomfortable and cramped, but at least she had stopped shivering. Too sleepy to really care, he put a hand on her back and fell asleep.