He Saved Me Chapter Forty-Two

Photo of Chet Peters on the right over there ---------->

Chapter Forty-Two

Johnathan's POV

The sound of Bobby's voice is what finally snapped me out of whatever haze I had been in. I looked across the room at them and then down at myself.

Blood...

Blood was everywhere. My fists were swollen and pink and my shirt was torn and soaked in red. What had--? And then I remembered....

I had gone to his house.

After Bobby had stormed from the hospital room, it had taken no longer than a few minutes for me to pull myself together. I was of no use to my daughter while I huddled in a corner wallowing in a pool of my own tears and self pity...

So I had gotten a ride back to my house to pick up my truck and driven over to Chet's house. A house that I had driven by countless times in the past and had even been inside years before. After drilling an impatient Lillian Peters with questions, I knew that there was only one place the bastard could be hiding.

At the speed I was driving, it didn't take me 20 minutes to get to Lyle Peters' old farm, and when I did, I battled with my own anger until something inside of me snapped and the anger consumed every fiber of my being.

There was a light flickering behind an old faded curtain and I knew that someone was inside. I knew who was inside. My heart threatened to burst into flames inside my chest as I made my way to the front door and opened it with trembling fingers. The hinges on the old door whined as I stepped into the house and closed the it. I heard a chair scrape on the floor to my right and turned to come face to face with the man I was looking for. The man who would soon be dead.

For a long moment, there was only silence in the small room as we stared at each other. Chet didn't even look nervous as he broke the silence.

With a slow and evil smile creeping onto his lips and revealing his crooked and stained teeth, he said "Well well well....look what he have here. The absentee father."

I flinched at his words and felt my hands instinctively curl into tight fists at my sides. The fact that his words were true made me curse quietly in the still room.

Chet laughed as he took a step back. "How'd ya find me?" he asked in a thick southern accent.

I didn't answer him as I took a step in his direction, my brain's logic battling with my hearts fierce urge to dive across the room and strangle this man.

'Kill him!' my heart screamed at me at the same time that my brain hissed 'Calm down!'

"Why?" I heard my own voice whisper to the man across from me. I don't know why I asked. It didn't really matter. I didn't even really want to know this sick man's reasoning behind what he had done. I can only say that I was trying to buy my brain time to win it's argument with my heart.

'If you kill him, who will look after Isobel? You've already failed her once, do you really think that you can be there for her from prison?'

my brain said calmly.

'Bullshit!!!'

my anger-filled heart returned.

'Killing him is what she needs! Isobel will only be able to find peace once she knows that she is rid of this son of a bitch once and for all! Plus, Bobby can take care of her once he is dead. He has already proved his love and dedication!'

Chet laughed again even louder, and I snapped my attention away from the battle that still raged inside of me. "Why?" he said mockingly. "Why what? What do I love your daughter? Why do I need her?" He took another step back and I followed with a larger step, bringing us a few inches closer so that only about 3 feet separated us.