He Saved Me Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

Sharon's POV

I watched Bobby pick up his phone and rush out of the room. I didn't have to ask who was texting him. The smile on his face told it all. Isobel.

I looked back at Daniel and noticed him watching Bobby as he walked away with a puzzled expression. "I want to thank you...for what you were willing to do for my son." I told him as I took a drink from a glass of water I had been cradling since we had sat at the table.

Daniel glanced at me and then looked away as if afraid I would read something behind those smokey gray eyes. "No thanks necessary ma'am."

"Sharon." I corrected him.

He looked at me then and my heartbeat steadily rose as he stared. "Sharon..." he said huskily.

I don't know what it was about this man, but ever since I had seen him earlier at the police station, I could not stop imagining what it would feel like to run my fingers through--never mind.

I cleared my throat and mentally pulled away from the prison his gaze had captured me in. "I heard what you said earlier," I began. "You said that you would do more than that for him. You care for my son, don't you?"

He was ready to deny it, I could tell. He opened his mouth and closed it several times before finally speaking in a defeated tone. "I always wanted a son..." was all he said.

"And you don't have kids?" I already suspected the answer to that question and the slight shake of his head confirmed it. "Well I'm glad that my son has a man willing to put himself on the line for him. He hasn't had that from his father in years. I'm not sure he ever had it."

Anger flashed across his face before he concealed it. For a lawyer, he sure wasn't good at covering his emotions. Or maybe he wasn't used to someone asking questions about him, just about the people that he represents. "I will never understand how a man could have a son like Bobby, and then just...let him go. I wish I had had the chance to punch his face in before Bobby was done with him tonight." I could see that he meant what he said, and that reminded me--

"Speaking of Robert--Bobby told me at the station after you left that you were his attorney. Would you mind explaining to me how it is that you didn't recognize your own client sprawled across my front lawn tonight?"

He opened and closed his mouth several more times before he spoke, glancing between me and the doorway that Bobby had disappeared through. So it has something to do with Bobby...

"Ma'am, I don't want to lie to you, and I am not at liberty to speak freely. Bobby has put me in a very awkward position by calling me here tonight, and I would rather you discussed this entire ordeal with him before speaking with me about it." He reluctantly stood from his seat and crossed over to the doorway. "I think it would be best if I leave now. Please have Bobby call me when he is done with his...whatever it is that sent him out of here grinning like the Cheshire Cat. Again, it was very nice to meet you." After that, he disappeared down the corridor like the fires of hell were chasing him.

I went to sleep that night smiling as I thought about those gray eyes....

***

Bobby's POV

I decided to drive the Audi to school the next day. I wanted to impress Isobel, so I polished ever smudge in it's cherry red paint job before hopping behind the wheel and taking off to her place.

She opened her front door and ran across the yard before I even came to a complete stop out front. She must have been watching for me. The thought made a crooked smile ease across my face as she got in the car and buckled her seat belt.