He Saved Me Chapter Twenty-Four

Twenty-Four

Sharon's POV

Consciousness came back to me slowly. When I opened my eyes, my blurred vision registered many tubes and wires coming from my wrists and chest. Bobby was sitting in a chair right next me with Isobel standing at his side with her hand resting on his shoulder. Sounds emitting from one of the machines I was hooked up to indicated the escalating of my heartbeat as panic threatened. Where was I? What was going on?

"Mom!" I heard Bobby say urgently as he stood up. I tried to answer him, but as I opened my mouth, I felt myself slip back under.

When my eyes opened again, Bobby and Isobel were gone. I stared at the chair that they had been sitting in until my heavy lids closed again.

"I know that you're a strong woman. You're an amazing woman if the wonderful son that you've raised is any indication. And you're a beautiful woman...."

I heard the voice as if it were in a dream. His velvet tone caressed my ears and tickled the skin at my cheek as he leaned in close. My breathing quickened as I continued to listen.

"Thank you so much for not leaving him Sharon! He would have never recovered. Not that I wouldn't have done everything possible to help him though. I love that child like my own...but I think you already know that." There was a pause as he sat down on the edge of my bed. "Listen Sharon. I know you don't know me...but I feel like we've known each other forever. It just feels like I was supposed to be running late the day that Bobby walked into my office, and I was supposed to meet you. Ever since I first laid eyes on you, I have just known that I'm supposed to be with you. I told myself that I would ask you out one day, and tonight, I almost lost the chance. Sharon if you can hear me, please open your eyes."

I tried. I struggled so hard to lift my heavy, stiff lids that tears were forming underneath. But I couldn't. I slipped back under....

***

Bobby's POV

She had been in and out for three hours. I was a little worried at first, but the doctors had said that it was perfectly normal with patients admitted with head injuries. The injury coupled with the drugs put them in a semi-conscious state at times, but I should not worry. She would awaken in her own time.

Isobel was still with me. She hardly spoke, and I appreciated her for it. I had no idea what I would say to her if she insisted on talking. She had called her dad around 12am to let him know where she was and what was going on, and he had encouraged her to take as much time as I needed her. I like him a lot more now. He still would make me want to walk in the other direction if I were to see him in a store, but I still appreciated him for his understanding at a time like this.

Daniel was being weird. He had hardly spoken two words either, and that was strange coming from him. Being a lawyer, he made a career out of running his mouth, but ever since he had come back to the waiting room after visiting me, he had just stared off into space, deep in thought. I didn't understand why this would affect him so much; he hardly even knew my mom.

Just then, a nurse came into the room and called my name. "Your mom's awake, and she's asking for you." she smiled as she waited for me at the door. I knew that she was waiting so that she could lead me back to mom's room so I grabbed Isobel's hand and hurried after her.

Mom was sitting up in bed smiling when I walked into the room and I almost laughed with the joy my heart felt to see that smile. She had really scared me tonight. "Mom." I whispered when I stopped at her bedside. "How ya feeling?"

"Uh really good actually. I don't know what it is this hospital is putting in the little bags right here, but they should give me some to take home." She looked around and the leaned in to whisper. "I swear there is a pink elephant bouncing on a trampoline in the corner over there. She glanced at the spot and then back at me.

Isobel and I turned in unison to see the regular old hospital cabinets in the spot that she had indicated. Not one pink bouncing elephant in sight. We looked back at mom and then at each other. For a few seconds, all was silent, and then neither of us could hold in our laughter any longer. Tears leaked from the corners of Isobel's eyes as she clenched her stomach. When I looked at mom, the look of total confusion on her face only doubled my laughter.

"What?" she said! "Bobby I'm serious!"

"I--" I took a couple of deep breaths as I got myself under control. "I'm sorry mom. But there are no pink elephants in this room. Actually, I can tell you with all certainty that there are no pink bouncy elephants on this planet!" I choked as another laugh tried to escape.

"Bobby, you are not to laugh at your mother! I'm in the hospital!"

Those words effectively sobered both me and Isobel. "I know." I told her, grabbing her slim fingers into mine. "I'm sorry mom."

"It's okay." she blinked several times, still staring at the 'pink elephant'.

"Mom do you remember what happened to you tonight? Have you spoken with the police yet?"

She shook her head as she tried to ignore the corner of the room. "I mean, no I haven't spoken with the police. But I do remember what happened. I felt like I was being followed since I left your house, Isobel. When the feeling got to strong to ignore, I checked the rear-view mirrors, but there was no one. By the time I brought my attention back to the road in front of me, it was already too late. There was no way I could avoid that collision."

"Did you see the driver of the car that hit you?" I asked her.

"It was a truck. But I don't remember anything about the driver. All I remember is slamming on breaks and watching those bright headlights come at me. And there was nothing I could do about it!" She began to tremble, and I restrained myself from muttering the curse word that threatened to pass through my lips.

"It'll be okay mom. They're going to find the guy who did this!" I promised her.

She didn't respond to me, but I knew that she had heard me. Her shoulders seemed to sag with relief after I spoke the words.

***

Daniel's POV

I was going to go crazy in this waiting room! I had abandoned my seat long ago, preferring to pace a whole into the glossy concrete floor. Glancing at the watch adorned to my wrist, I noted that it was nearly four in the morning. Bobby and his girlfriend had been back there with Sharon for over half an hour. Patience was not my strong suit on a night like this.

"Screw it!" I whispered as I resolved to go back by myself. As I reached to open the door, it swung open and Bobby walked out with a smile spread across his face. I allowed myself to finally feel relief at the sight of that smile. She truly was going to be okay.

I didn't waste time with words as I walked past him and Isobel to go back and see for myself.

PLEASE FAN AND VOTE AND FAN AND COMMENT AND FAN AND LIKE AND FAN AND TWEET! I LOVE YOU ALL MORE THAN PLANTS LOVE SUNSHINE. MORE THAN MY LUNGS LOVE MY NEXT BREATH. MORE THAN FLIES LOVE TO AGGRAVATE ME! :) THAT MEANS I LOVE YOU A WHOOOOLE LOT!