He Saved Me Chapter Thirty-Eight

Chapter Thirty-Eight

Sharon's POV

I woke up Sunday morning with a headache and a sore throat, last night's encounter with my ex husband still weighing on my mind. I had been certain that he was up to something, but by the time he had left, I was unsure what to think.

He had stayed for half an hour, practically begging for my forgiveness and understanding. I knew what I should have done. It was no question. I should have kicked him out the door and never allow him back into my house or into my life again, but at the same time, I couldn't help but think of Bobby and the fact that he had spent almost half his life without a father. So I had told him that I would think about it.

After Robert had left, my mind was reeling with confusion, frustration, and indecision. A bottle of wine and thirteen hours later, I still wasn't sure what to decide. I knew that we could never be together again. He had hurt me and my son too badly for that, but if he really did want to be a part of his son's life again, who was I to refuse his friendship? If only I could get some sort of sign about what to do.

Before I could ponder the events of the night before any longer, my phone rang and I drowsily answered it. "Hello?"

"Sharon! I'm sorry, did I wake you?"

Daniel. My heartbeat picked up as I responded. "No. No, I woke a few minutes ago."

"Good." He said. "Listen, I have something to tell you, and you may be upset about it. But just know that this was not entirely my doing, I just--"

"Daniel slow down! What is it? You're scaring me..."

"Well--" he paused again, and I felt a foreboding sense of fear settle in my heart. "Sharon after hearing about what happened to Isobel yesterday, I had a friend of mine on the force get the tapes from the bank security camera. He wasn't supposed to watch it before me, but when I went to the station to get the video, he was watching it. And now...well now everyone at the station knows about what happened. I know that you said that Isobel didn't go to the cops because she didn't want anyone to know."

There was a lump in my throat. I tried to swallow three times, but it just seemed to get bigger. Bobby was going to kill me. Isobel was going to be devastated! I knew this, but I still couldn't bring myself to be upset with Daniel about it. It was best this way, because now that the authorities knew about what had happened, maybe they could identify the guy and lock him up.

"Wow!" I said quietly. "Well--"

"Sharon I am so sorry!" Daniel said urgently before I got the chance to speak.

I shook my head quickly and then blushed when I remembered that he couldn't see me. "Now, don't be. I--I understand that you were only trying to help." There was an awkward silence as I tried to think of what to say. "Have--what is going on, then? Was there anyone who could identify the monster?"

"It was a cop Sharon. The Lieutenant recognized him right away. But he managed to somehow find out what has happening and he escaped. Every cop in town is keeping an eye out for him right now!"

I felt like the wind had been knocked out of me. "WHAT?!" I screamed into the receiver of the phone. "What the hell do you mean it was a cop?"

"Just what I said. The guy's name is Chet Peters. They say that he was at the bar Half Empty until around 9 that night. It's right there in the neighborhood where Isobel was attacked. He must had decided to walk home since he was so drunk, and when Iz walked by..." he trailed off.

I remained silent as I let my anger take over. How in the hell could something like this happen to a young girl at the hands of a cop? I felt angry and frustrated tears gather in my eyes and I tried to pull myself together. How was Isobel going to react to this news. I glanced at the time and realized that she and Bobby should be home any minute. Bobby had told me last night that they would be stopping at Isobel's before he came home.