He Saved Me Chapter Thirty-One

Chapter Thirty-One

Sharon's POV

I poured two glasses of wine and padded barefoot back into the living room to join Daniel on the couch. We had come back from our date at eleven-thirty, and neither of us wanted the night to end, so I had invited him in for some wine so that we could talk some more.

"Thank you." He said as I handed him a glass and eased down next to him. "Now where was I...?"

"You were explaining how your marriage ended...."

"Oh right." He took a sip from his glass before continuing. "Well Jess and I were the couple who got married right out of high school and never imagined anything ever coming between us. We went to the same college so that we didn't have to be apart...all of it. After I had gotten my practice up and running, I was ready to start a family, and that was the first time that either of us had broached the subject of kids. As it turns out, she never wanted kids. That was obviously a conversation that she and I should have had before we got married. I thought that I could change her mind, I couldn't. I thought that I would be able to live with her decision, but I couldn't do that either, so we split. I was thirty-two years old at the time."

"Well my marriage ended before my thirtieth birthday. I was twenty-nine years old when Robert left me."

Daniel looked at me for a long time as if in thought before responding. "What happened?" he asked.

I sighed and took a deep gulp of wine. "I really don't know, Daniel. For a long time, I thought I had done something. Like...maybe I didn't cook well enough, or I was too aggressive in bed, or not aggressive enough. I even thought that maybe with the baby, I had put on too much weight, and I was just not attractive anymore...but the truth is, I don't know why my husband just stopped loving me." I felt my eyes begin to burn, and I turned my glass up again only to realize that I had already emptied it. Daniel handed me his glass and I swallowed the rest of his wine. "I lost my baby that day." I told him in a matter-of-fact tone.

He nodded his head and wrapped his arm around me. "Yeah I know. Bobby told me...."

I shook my head in confusion. "When are you going to tell me what is going on with you and my son?" I asked him.

Daniel paused before dropping his arm. "Sharon I like you. I like a lot more than I should, given that you don't know the entire truth about me, but I know that we can't take this relationship anywhere if I am not one hundred percent truthful with you..."

I nodded, my mouth slightly ajar, as I anticipated the intensity of what Daniel was about to tell me.

"Sharon, I am not, nor have I ever been your ex-husband's attorney. Your son hired me four years ago so that he could take care of you without you asking too many question of him."

My brain was fuzzy from the two glasses of wine, but I knew that I had heard him correctly. I knew that my son was on the wrong side of the law. I had known for quite some time now, but I also had no idea who to stop him. I had noticed the changes in him since he and Isobel had been together, and I could only hope that she continued to bring out the good side in him. "Wait--what do you have to do with anything?"

"Well Bobby came into my office when he was fourteen years old with a bag full of money. He told me about his situation. About how his father had left him and his mother alone, and he had to take care of you. He was the man of the house now. He explained that he had heard you on the phone late one night crying because you didn't know how you were going to pay the bills, and he knew that he had to do something. Some time later, he came to me and asked me what he should do. I made the arrangements for a check to come to you bi-weekly. Bobby and his father have the same name, so it wasn't hard to arrange a bank account for your son and to have automatic withdrawals from that account to come to you through my office. Sharon, Bobby has been taking care of you all these years, and I helped him." He stood up from his seat and backed away from me a few paces. "I understand if you never want to see me again, but I think you need to understand that I did what Bobby needed me to do. That boy was so lost and confused when I met him. He needed a purpose, and that purpose was to protect his mother. He protected you, and I protected him. I know that it may seem wrong, but I promise you that I have made sure that your son stayed out of trouble for this entire time! I love that boy more than you could possibly imagine."