He Saved Me Chapter Forty-Three

Chapter Forty-Three

Bobby's POV

Daniel was all business when he arrived at the old farmhouse a half hour later. Angel and I answered his questions as he fired them at us one after the other. Mr. Davis didn't say much; just nodded and shook his head to confirm or deny a question that had been aimed at him.

It went that way for at least another half hour as we were questioned, and Angel was becoming impatient with my lawyer I could tell. I didn't mind because I had seen Daniel in action. This was how he operated. He needed to know every single detail and aspect of a situation so that he could work a defense around any possible outcome. He had gotten me out of so much shit in the past this exact same way that I had become used to it.

I knew when Daniel had heard everything that he needed to hear because the room fell silent again and the only sound you could hear was the sound of the floor boards squeaking as he paced back and forth, thinking. He mumbled to himself as he worked out an approach and Angel and I leaned against a wall and followed him with our eyes. I really hoped that Daniel could get Mr. Davis out of this one. I didn't want to even think about Isobel's reaction if she woke to find that her dad had been arrested for murder. There was no question that she would blame herself, especially considering that her last words to him had been accusatory and hurtful.

Daniel cleared his throat and my head turned toward him as I snapped myself from my thoughts. He looked at me and sighed. "You boys were never here, do you understand me?" Angel and I both nodded our heads and he continued. "You weren't here. You're kids, you're hot headed, you're angry, and you both have a witnessed history of destructive behavior. I know that technically you didn't do anything here, but in order for this to go smoothly, there can't have been anyone else here. At any point. Do you understand me?" he asked again more urgently.

Again, we nodded our heads.

"Mr. Davis?" he turned to Isobel's dad then and approached him from across the room. "Sir, I understand that you are in shock, but I need you to snap out of it. There are several different angles that we can approach this from, but our best bet is self defense. You discovered where Peters was hiding and you took it upon yourself to come and bring him in because you've lost your confidence in the police and their competence. They overlooked a criminal in their employ, so of course you didn't trust their ability to capture this monster. You discovered in 20 minutes what they haven't done all day. When you got here, Peters was in a state of panic. He had been found, and he wasn't leaving freely. He attacked you, and you two fought. When he had you pinned, he pulled his gun, and you two struggled over it, resulting his him being shot the first time. You had the gun in your hand, you backed away, and he came after you again. You had to kill him."

I frowned at that scenario. "But wait, if you're going to go with self defense, wouldn't it be easier if Angel and I were on the scene? You know, as witnesses?"

Daniel shot me a desperate look, almost pleading with his eyes. "Son, you're 18 years old. I feel horrible that you were here in the first place. There is no way that I'm allowing you to go through all the shit involved in a murder investigation! What if the prosecution tries to tie you into the crime? What if I fail you? I couldn't live with that!"

My breath hitched at his words, and something inside my chest clenched and tightened. He was worried about me? My own father had never even been worried about me and here was a man who owed me absolutely nothing, showing me the concern that I had always secretly wanted from my dad. I owed him my life and my freedom. There has never been a time that I have called and Daniel hasn't been there for me. He was ALWAYS there! In that moment, I wished more than anything that I could call this man in front of me my father, and just forget about Robert Slade.