He Saved Me Chapter Five

Picture of Bobby over there ---->  

Chapter Five

Isobel's POV

Nine days.

That's how long it's been since that alley, and I still don't know how to deal. Every day this week has been harder than the one before, even with Bobby constantly checking up on me.

My dad has started to ask questions. I can't look at him. We have always been best friends, and now, I can't look at him without my own voice ringing in my ears. Screaming for him. Echoing throughout my mind in my maddening desperation to make him hear me.

I relive that night over and over in my dreams. Sometimes, when I walk out those library doors, I look up to see his truck parked at the curb, and I happily saunter to the driver side door and he let's me drive us home while he reads me flash card notes from the passenger seat.

Other times I still walk home, and when I make it to our front door, he's there on the other side holding his keys with a boyishly guilty look on his face because he feels so badly for forgetting. And he assures me that he was just about to leave, all the while apologizing for being so late.

The most common dream is me being snatched into that dark alley. That pervert is just over me with a triumphant gleam in his eye, and when I scream my daddy's name, he comes barreling around the corner with a crazed look on his face. Ready to murder anyone who dared to lay a finger on me.

But after each of these dreams, I wake up to a reality that I have never dreamed of facing...

Daddy wasn't there for me. All the promises that he would always be there when I needed him were bullshit. At the time that I needed him most, he was lying on a couch asleep. While his baby's innocence was stripped from her.

I shouldn't blame him for what happened. My brain knows that. But my heart keeps reliving the terror and disappointment. And all the other emotions I felt that night. Nine days ago.

Knock knock. "Honey, are you okay in there?" my dad's voice brought me back from my musings and I rolled over in bed to look at the time. 1:00pm. It was past noon on a Saturday and I hadn't left my room once. Not even for breakfast.

I rose to a sitting position and got out of bed. "Yea dad, I'm fine. I've been reading a book for class and just finished." I still didn't want to face him, so my mind raced to think of something to do today. "Alice is on her way over now, and I think we're going to the mall. Is that okay?" I already knew he would say yes. As I waited for his response, I mentally guessed what Alice would be doing right now and picked up my phone to call her. Looking down at the screen, I noticed that I had three missed calls from her already. The most recent one was an hour ago. My thumb hovered over the send button as I waited for his reply.

"Yes sweetie, that's fine. Ralph and I are going fishing, so you know what's for dinner." with that his footsteps echoed as he walked back down the hallway.

I pressed the call button on my phone and listened to it ring on the other end. Alice picked up on the second ring with an impatient tone. "What is going on Iz? I've been calling you all morning!"

I sighed as I walked across the room to my dresser and pulled out a t-shirt and a pair of jeans to slip on. "Sorry Al, my ringer has been switched off since I went to bed last night." It wasn't a lie. "I want to go to the mall. You feel like coming to get me?" I really didn't want to go to the mall, but it was better than sitting inside all day alone.

'Mall' was always the magic word with Alice. Even if she didn't have any money, she could spend hours there just window shopping. "Hell yes! I have to bring the Jack-o-Lantern though. Mom and dad are out." She sounded disgusted at the prospect of dragging little brother along. Jack and Alice had a sibling love-hate relationship going on. According to her, the 11 year old's entire life purpose was to torment and torture her. I just always thought that she was lucky to have someone besides her parents to spend time with every day.