He Saved Me Chapter Thirty-Nine

Sorry that it's been so long since an update! Life just has a way of getting in the way sometimes.

Chapter Thirty-Nine

Johnatan's POV

I felt like I had been holding my breath for the past two hours. Bobby and I were both sitting quietly in separate corners of the room, too worried to even speak. Every several minutes, I would sneak a peek at him clench his fists in his lap. He looked almost as furious as I felt.

I still couldn't believe how wrong I had been about this kid. Ever since Isobel had told me that the boy that had her stomach so twisted in knots was Bobby Slade, I had been just waiting for him to mess up. I didn't want him to hurt my daughter, but I just knew that it was inevitable. I had been so wrong. This boy--this MAN had been there for my daughter when I wasn't, and there was no way that I could repay him for that.

I felt tears burn in my eyes and I turned my head away as I tried to blink them away. How could this have happened without me ever knowing? Where had I been this entire time?

'Working.' I answered myself. I had been working. Ever since the beginning of the year, I had been working double shifts, and filling in for the other guys on my work crew so that I could afford to buy Isobel the perfect birthday present. And she had gotten it. The look on my daughters face when she had seen that car in the garage made all the nearly sleepless nights and 4am coffee runs and the afternoon 5 Hour Energy shots seem so worth it. She had been hinting and begging for a car for so long that I knew it would make her happy.

How could I have allowed this to happen? I wanted to kick myself.

I lost the battle with my own tears as I remembered the last words that Isobel had said to me before passing out the first time. She blames me. Hell, I blame me! This was all my fault.

Knock knock. Two taps on the door signaled that someone was entering the room and Bobby and I rose to our feet hurriedly. I brushed the tears away from my face as a doctor entered.

"Hello." She said quietly, approaching me. "My name is Dr. Collins. I'm here to speak with your daughter when she wakes up, but I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm sorry that I wasn't able to do so at your home, but I'm sure you understand that Isobel was my priority. You are Isobel's father, I assume?" She held out her hand and I shook it loosely.

"Yes." My voice cracked slightly and I cleared my throat before continuing. "Uh--yes, I'm Johnathan Davis. Isobel is my daughter. Is there anything you can tell me now? Why has she been out so long?" I asked.

Dr. Collins smiled softly and nodded. "Of course. I'm sure you must be very worried." She pulled a folder from behind her back and glanced inside. "Mr. Davis, the medication your daughter received before arriving here is the primary reason that she has been out so long. However, considering the trauma that she has experienced and the public knowledge of the events that she clearly didn't wish to be revealed, I believe that Isobel is remaining unconscious by choice. It could be anywhere between thirty minutes to an hour before she is ready to wake up and face the world."

I nodded my head and blinked back more tears. "Okay thank you."

"Excuse me doctor?" Bobby said from beside me.

"If you have a few minutes later, I would like to speak with you. Privately." He glanced at me and then back at Dr. Collins, and my brow wrinkled in confusion. What could Bobby have to talk about with Isobel's doctor?

She nodded again. "Of course. I am here to answer any questions that you all may have. But like I said, Isobel may be sleeping for a while, so if either of you have any business to attend to, the staff will be sure to notify you when she wakes."