He Saved Me Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Thirty-Four

Daniel's POV

Question after question was rotating in my head as I sat and listened to Sharon's end of the conversation with Bobby. What did she mean by 'the way she got pregnant'?" I had been asking myself how a girl who seems as good and disciplined as Isobel could have gotten herself pregnant, but I had not allowed myself to dwell on it. It wasn't any of my business. But the fact that I had thought of Bobby as my own son for so long had me wondering what was going on.

All kinds of possibilities came to mind as I listened to Sharon drill her son about Isobel's condition. She sounded like more than just a worried parent. She sounded like...

What in the world was going on?

Isobel wasn't the first teenage girl to get pregnant and she wouldn't be the last. What was so urgent about this situation?

"The stress that she must be going through considering the way she got pregnant..." I played those words back in my head. How had she gotten pregnant? In what way could this young girl have gotten pregnant that would make Bobby want to take on the responsibilities of raising a child that wasn't his?

One possibility occurred to me, but I wouldn't allow myself to consider that. But what if--?

Sharon had ended her phone call now and was just sitting, staring at the phone in her hand. I cleared my throat and opened my mouth to ask the question that I really didn't want to know the answer to.

She jumped and looked at me as if only then realizing that I was still in the room. "Jesus, Daniel! You scared me!"

I cleared my throat again before asking. "Would you mind telling me what has happened to Bobby's girlfriend that has her pregnant and under so much stress?"

Her mouth was agape as she stared back at me, and I knew that she wasn't planning on telling me the truth. I could see it in her eyes. Before she could settle on her lie, I decided to just come out and ask what I already suspected.

"Sharon, was that girl raped or something?"

Her entire demeanor crumbled as she slumped back into her seat on a long exhale. For a long time she didn't speak, but I no longer needed her to answer. I already knew. My heart broke as I thought of all Bobby and Isobel must be going through. That girl had been raped, and as a result, she was having a baby. A baby that she wasn't planning on aborting from the sounds of it.

"Wha-who? How?" Was all that I could get out as I watched Sharon's defeated frame take a shaky breath.

She sat up and looked at me, tears glistening in her eyes. She shook her head and shrugged. "I don't know, Daniel. It was dark, and she was walking home. Someone who was obviously drunk pulled her into an alley and raped her. He probably would have killed her, but Bobby found them and he got away."

"And what do the police say?" I asked calmly as I tried to contain the rage I was feeling. So this was why Bobby had changed so much lately. He had witnessed this girl being raped.

Sharon shook her head again. "They didn't go to the police. Isobel is a young girl. She's confused and hurt and humiliated. I couldn't force her to do something she didn't want to do. Neither could Bobby. So we both intend to just do the best that we can. I have been slowly trying to convince her to at least tell her father. He deserves to know what has been happening with his daughter!"

"So the police don't know, and the father doesn't know." I considered my options as I stood up and pulled out my cell phone. "What night was this, and where was she specifically? And what time? Do you know?"