16. Change

__________________________

Taekwoon was one of few that didn't have to squeeze himself through the masses of students surrounding the ranking chart the next morning. Everyone moved out of his way naturally when they saw him coming. He had ranked as number one, once again. Relieved from the sight, he began searching for his partner's name instead. It took a few seconds but he soon spotted Hakyeon at a neat rank as number 21.

Taekwoon licked his lips discreetly in thought since it actually was not that bad of a rank at all, much better than he had expected. Although, he guessed that the fact that he had been in the pairing made the critics and teachers look at Hakyeon more favorably. Also, his parents, despite their dislike for Hakyeon could have been pulling some strings. Of course they didn't want it to look like Taekwoon had chosen one of the lower ranked students to perform with.

"Taekwoon-hyung."

He turned around at the call of his name and soon met with Ken's gentle brown eyes.

"Congratulations to rank 2.", Taekwoon spoke.

"Ah, thanks.", Ken scratched his neck in a humble gesture, "Have you seen Hakyeon-hyung?"

Taekwoon shook his head, "Not today."

He put his weight on his left leg and bit his lower lip as he was thinking. Should he tell Ken that he actually hadn't heard anything from Hakyeon since yesterday's phone call? Should he say that he actually felt worried out of this world for his newfound childhood friend? Because, while he after the attack of panic and nervosity had felt mostly joy from the newfound memories, Hakyeon seemed to have experienced another... Not so very gentle feeling. What did he mean by that Taekwoon was dead? Or more accurately, that Leo was dead?

Ken sighed, "I guess he wouldn't dare come to school today."

"Why is that?", Taekwoon raised his eyebrows, forgetting Hakyeon's actual situation, "He didn't rank that bad."

"His rank is part of the problem.", Ken spoke and lowered his voice, "Everyone feel kind of betrayed since his skills weren't what they expected. Also, that he ranked such a decent rank... People are in rage, spreading rumors like crazy."

Taekwoon fell silent and looked around him at the students that suddenly, seemed much more conscious and evil than usual. He could almost feel their judging thoughts and see their glaring eyes, stabbing Hakyeon's name on the chart over and over again.

"I need to make a call.", Taekwoon excused himself and walked away with quick steps, already displaying Hakyeon's number on the screen.

But there was no answer even now.

"This stupid...", Taekwoon mumbled in frustration, "And i have work today so i can't see him directly after school either..."

His fingers moved rapidly over the keyboard on his screen.

Taekwoon: Hakyeon, please call or text me as soon as you can! I'm really worried and I really want to hold you... I want to hear your voice.
Also, I know your rank.

...

Hakyeon huffed quietly at his received unusually long text message and felt a slight pain in his chest. Guilt? He really wanted to be held by Taekwoon right now, being cuddled into his warm embrace and being told that everything was just fine. But even so, he put away his phone. After laying still for a few seconds, the doorbell rang and he went to open the door. Soon, he stood face to face with Wonshik who had a weak triumphant smile on his face. Hakyeon took a step to the side, letting the raven-haired boy in.