13. Higher

__________________________

"Isn't he a bit stiff?"

Deadly. Hakyeon shuddered and missed a beat. Luckily, he managed to catch it right afterwards and no big damage was made... Yet. His mind was trembling, stabbing, struggling to get through the notes that had turned heavy somewhere in the process... And from the audience, the whispers rised in number. He tried focus on his steps, shut it out.

Get yourself together Hakyeon-ah.
Besides, now it's...

... Taekwoon's turn. As his soft voice filled the local, it either stunned the audience or simply overpowered them since suddenly, they could no longer be heard.

Taekwoon closed his eyes and let his voice out stronger, focusing his thoughts on the kiss earlier. As he noticed his tones flow out softly and properly, he dared to face the audience again. He glanced over at Hakyeon who very focused caught Taekwoon's every note and followed his voice rather nicely except that he seemed to miss small details... Like where his foot should point and how gracefully his hand would follow. It made the movements look slightly incomplete and rushed but it could have been worse, considering the stabbing from the whispering voices.

As Taekwoon watched the anxious boy before him, dancing through the dust presented by the strong lights... He felt oddly relieved... And his notes floated accordingly, leaving the audience in a dazzled state, speechless. Even Taekwoon himself felt a warm sensation go through his body... It had been a long time since he had been able to sing like this...

Ever since yesterday...

...

They had sat down on a bench near the exit of the amusement park. Taekwoon looked at Hakyeon with a peculiar never-before seen gaze... It looked shy and a bit nervous. Soon after, the first tone left his mouth.

Softly, timidly... As if asking for permission to be out in the free. Trembling, just slightly before it stabilized. His expression changed into a calm one and although still soft as silk, his voice got stronger. In this moment, it seemed like he was the focus of the world. A humble spotlight, carefully painting the lyrics told in the story.

... But there was something more.

Hakyeon's increasing nervosity and and heated body eventually made his leg succumb... It stopped. He stopped, just like that. All while Taekwoon's last high note searched itself out, piercing the air over the spotlights. Magically, there was not a single person in the local to not recieve pleasant shivers and goose-bumps.

Afterwards?
Silence.
Then whispers.

"Taekwoon-oppa, so amazing!"
"Taekwoon!!!"
"His voice is so nice, was it always like this?"
"Wah, amazing... Jung Taekwoon!"

Hakyeon frowned and his leg hurt.
He turned his head slightly and instantly met Taekwoon's eyes.
Cat-like, fox-like, sparkling... He turned away. As if he truly realized, just how much higher up Taekwoon was than him.

On a different level.
... And this was anything else but a lie.

A booming applaud broke out.

Ken put in two coins in the vending machine standing on the school's currently rather empty courtyard. He glanced briefly back at Wonshik, who had returned from his meeting with Hakyeon with a gloom look on his face. A clonking sound was heard as the drinks fell down and Ken checked the time on his wrist watch briefly. Taekwoon and Hakyeon were probably on stage doing their number as he was thinking this. He sighed but it couldn't be helped.