Ch. 14 Kiss me

*And your heart's against my chest,

your lips pressed to my neck

I'm falling for your eyes,

but they don't know me yet*

                                      -Ed Sheeran *Kiss Me*

Chapter 14

The living room is filled with a nervous silence that no one seems willing to break. No one was really freaking out until Mads started to and then it seemed to spread to each of us still here. My Uncle James left earlier in the day, so it’s just Mads, Keaton, Wesley, and myself. Dace isn’t here. No one knows where he is or when he’s coming back and I think it’s beginning to scare us all. No one has seen Dace since I talked to him at the pool this morning and it’s now late at night. He hasn’t answered his phone, which Mads insists means something is wrong. I’m still not so sure, but I’m definitely getting more and more nervous the longer he‘s gone.

“Mom, just relax. He’s probably just hanging out with some people on the beach and lost track of time. It’s not a big deal,” Wes says finally.

This is the first time Wesley and I have even been in the same room since our argument the other day and I’m having trouble even looking at him. I can feel his eyes on me, but I just can’t make myself meet them. I’m still so confused and hurt by everything and I don’t want him to see that right now. Not when we should be focusing on Dace.

“Then why isn’t he answering his phone?” Mads demands.

“Maybe his battery died or something,” Keaton offers.

“He should be home by now,” she insists and it’s clear nothing we say will reassure her. “I’m going to wait for him on the front porch. You all should try to get some sleep.”

Mads gets up and walks out of the room, leaving us all in silence once again. I chance a look at Wesley and of course he catches me. Our eyes lock for about three seconds before I tear my gaze away again and I can hear him sigh from all the way across the room.

“She’s right. We should just go to sleep,” Wes tells us and gets up to leave the room.

“Aren’t you worried?” I can’t stop myself from asking. Because I am. A lot.

I have a feeling his disappearance has something to do with his dad and that maybe he just needed some time away. That probably means nothing serious has happened to him, but it doesn’t mean I shouldn’t worry.

“Not really. I’m sure he’ll come walking through the door any minute. He’s a complete tool for making my mom worry like this,” Wesley says and then with a shake of his head leaves.

Keaton walks over to where I sit on the couch and sits down beside me. I’ve hardly seen my little brother this summer and I’ve kind of missed him. I’m about to make him completely uncomfortable by telling him so, but then he gives me this serious look and I shut my mouth.

“So, where is he?” he asks and I squint my eyes in confusion.

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, you and Dace have been really close and if anyone would know where he was it would be you,” he states flatly, like he actually expects me to know where Dace has been this whole time.

“Well, I don’t. I talked to him this morning and he seemed fine. I have no idea where he could be now,” I tell him and he searches my face for a moment before nodding.

“Is there something going on between you guys?” he asks flat out and I let out a little gasp of surprise.

“Of course not! Why would you even think that?” I demand and then flinch when I remember he saw me leaving Dace’s room the other morning.