Ch. 3 Someone Like You

*You're perfectly imperfect, my love."

                                            -The Summer Set *Someone Like You*

Chapter 3

Wesley and I have been dating for five years. It seems like a ridiculously long time when I think about it now, but I honestly couldn’t imagine not being with him during all that time. I’m really not sure how we even became a couple. It kind of just happened. He had been there my whole life and I guess it just turned into something more.

People always tell us that we are the perfect couple. I think it has something to do with how we know each other so well. We even finish each others sentences sometimes. We love the same things and it just feels so right being with him. I don’t believe in soul mates, but if I did I would definitely say he was mine. All our friends say that we will last forever and I hope that they are right because I can’t see myself being happy with anyone else.

Once someone asked me if I regretted only being with one boy all this time, if I ever wondered what it would be like with someone else. The question bothered me at first because it made it seem like I was missing out on something by staying with one guy. I don’t see it like that, though. I love Wes and I know that he loves me. I don’t need to date anyone else because I already know what I want. Maybe we’re young, but I know that it would be stupid to give up what we have.

I’m not saying that Wesley and I don’t have our arguments because trust me, we do. We argue a lot actually, but it is never over anything important. We argue about stupid things that we can never even remember what they were about after. There was one time that we almost broke up, but everything worked out in the end.

It was right before my mom died. There was a dance at our school and I was really looking forward to going. I already had a dress and everything when Wesley told me he didn’t feel like going. We argued about it quite a bit and somehow it turned into a shouting match. We both said some pretty terrible things and then suddenly Wesley suggested that we just break up. I was shocked that he had even thought of it because it never even crossed my mind. I was more than mad at him, but I never doubted that we would work it out in the end. I had too much pride to tell him this, though, and so I just left. We didn’t talk for a few days, even though I must have picked up the phone to call him a thousand times. Then my mother passed away and suddenly he was there. I had been falling apart and he was the one that pulled me back together. Our fight was forgotten and things went back to how they used to be between us. We have hardly even argued since then.

So, our relationship isn’t perfect, but it’s lasted this long and I’m sure as hell going to keep working for it as long as I can. He has been with me through everything and he understands me in a way that no one else will. Why would I ever give all that up to start over with someone new? It would be the biggest mistake of my life. When I think about my future he is always in it and it’s not that hard to believe that he really will be.

“Watcha thinking about?” Wes asks, plopping down next to me on the sand.

“You,” I reply with a little grin.

“Good things, I hope.”

“Only the best,” I giggle and he tilts my face up to his.

“You’re the most beautiful girl in the world. Did I ever tell you that?” he says.

“You’re so cheesy. I happen to know for a fact that you think Meghan Fox is way hotter than me,” I retort with an eye roll.

“I never said that,” he replies and I grin.