Ch. 10 Chasing Pavements

*I build myself up and fly around in circles

Wait then as my heart drops and my back begins to tingle

Finally, could this be it?*

                                                              -Adele*Chasing Pavements*

Chapter 10

“What was that last night?” Maya demands, walking into my room without even knocking. No one else is here at the moment, so I know she must have let herself in, which sort of annoys me.

“I decided I couldn’t go through with it,” I tell her honestly.

“Of course you could have! That was the whole point!” she exclaimed and then sighed. “Wesley never even got to see how hot you looked.”

“Sorry you wasted your time dressing me up and everything for nothing. I just couldn’t do it. Things like that might work for you, but I‘m not you” I reply and she sighs.

“Okay, I admit that might not have been the best way for you in particular to get him back. It might have worked for someone else, but clearly I went about this all wrong for you,” Maya says and then pauses to think about it for a minute. “I think the problem is that you didn’t feel right hooking up with a random stranger, but what if it was someone you knew?”

“Like who?” I ask just to humor her.

“Well, there is only one obvious person that you would feel comfortable with and that would be Dace,” she suggests and I start to laugh, but then stop once I realize she is serious.

“You have got to be joking! There is no way I would ever do that. Dace is like a brother to me and he would never go along with something like this,” I tell her in outrage.

“I think that he would and he is very clearly not like a brother to you. You can delude yourself into believing that, but your relationship with him is nothing like your’s and Keaton’s,” she tells me. “And the fact that he is Wesley’s brother makes it so much better. Wesley will have to pay attention if he thinks his brother is stealing his girl right out from under him. It will be perfect!”

“No, it really won’t. First of all, there is no way I’m kissing Dace to make Wesley jealous. And second, I’m not going to destroy their relationship by making Wesley mad at Dace over something he shouldn’t be involved in,” I argue.

“Look, you don’t have to actually kiss Dace or anything. Just hang around with him a lot. Get a little cuddly maybe, but only if you feel like it will help things and you’re comfortable with it. And I doubt it will really affect their relationship any. Sure they might get into a fight over you, but it looks like they are already doing that. And they’re brothers so once you and Wesley are back together then they will get over it,” Maya replies and I just shake my head. There is no way I’m letting her talk me into this one. “Fine, but think about it alright? Or better yet talk to Dace about it! Then decide.”

“So not gonna happen,” I mutter and she gives me a sly smile.

“Of course not,” she says, but continues to smile at me like she knows something I don’t.

Maya leaves a little while later to go hang out with her new boyfriend and I’m left alone to think about what she said. I’m pretty sure her plan is the worst plan I have ever heard. And that is coming from the person that is a master at coming up with horrible plans.

I doubt me hanging out with Dace would even get Wesley’s attention. He knows nothing would ever actually happen between us and we already do hang out kind of a lot, so I’m pretty sure Wesley won’t even notice. There are a million other reasons I would never go through with a plan like this and I can’t even think of one for why I would. I think I need to just stop worrying about what Wesley is doing and enjoy the rest of the summer.