Ch. 17 Let her go

*Staring at the ceiling in the dark

Same old empty feeling in your heart

'Cause love comes so slow and it goes so fast*

                                                         -Passenger *Let her go*

Chapter 17

After pathetically staring after Dace for an unknown amount of time I finally manage to pull myself together and go to face Wesley. Whatever he has to say can’t make me feel any worse than I already do, so in a way I’m more prepared to deal with it now than I ever was. How ironic.

Wesley greets me with raised eyebrows and I know he’s thinking about Dace. Even though I know he doesn’t suspect a thing, he’s still curious about why Dace and I would be fighting like that. But I’m not here to talk about Dace, so he better get on with why he asked me to come here or I’m leaving.

“So, why am I here?” I snap a little harsher than I intended. It’s not really fair, but I’m taking out my anger on Wesley. If he had just walked in a few moments later things might have been so different! He didn’t know, though, which is still a good thing after all.

“I just thought we could talk about yesterday and, well, this whole summer,” he says, looking slightly uncomfortably. Good.

“What’s with all the secrecy then? Meeting you outside at a specific hour? We could have just had this conversation earlier on the beach!” I exclaim, feeling stupid that I had let it stress me out so much. I still don’t even know what he’s going to say really, but I had assumed that something big was going on and I let it stress me out for nothing.

“I just didn’t want everyone eavesdropping like they always do. Besides don’t you remember when we always used to lay under the stars together? You used to love that,” he says. I stare at him calmly when all I really want to do is hit him.

“Uh, we never did that. I asked you once and you said that it was a stupid thing to do and that guys didn’t like stuff like that. So, we stayed inside and played videogames like you wanted to do,” I remind him.

“Are you sure? I swear I remember us doing that,” Wesley replies with his eyebrows scrunched up in confusion. Normally I would be extremely annoyed with this, but now I just shake my head at him with the smallest of smiles. Some people never change. For once it feels like a good thing. I don’t want Wesley to change, even his annoying habits of never remembering things the way they actually happened.

“Yeah. I’m sure, Wes,” I say.

“Oh. Well, we can look at the stars now? I even brought a blanket,” he offers and I shrug because what harm can it really do?

Without a second thought I lie myself down on the outstretched blanket and lift my gaze to the sky. Not a single star is visible due to a blanket of clouds. Just my luck.

“Guess this wasn’t such a great idea after all,” Wes says sheepishly and I actually laugh.

“It’s the thought that counts.”

“So, it’s really over? You and me?” he asks abruptly and I turn my head to stare into eyes cloudier than the sky above us.

“It’s been over for awhile, don’t you think? I just didn’t realize it until recently,” I reply.

“I still love you, you know. I shouldn’t have done the things that I did. You deserved better than that and I am sorry,” he tells me. We both know it’s a little too late for an apology.