Ch.12 The Show

*I'm just a little bit caught in the middle

Life is a maze and love is a riddle*

                                                -Lenka *The Show*

Chapter 12

I glance in my mirror, nervously tugging on my lacy blue shirt. I continue to stare at my reflection, long after I’m sure everything’s perfect. I just can’t seem to make myself leave. This is mostly because of how anxious I am about my date with Wesley. Or is it even a date? I have no clue, which just stresses me out even more.

Never in my life have I ever been so nervous to hang out with Wes. I mean, we have known each other for so long that I never really felt the need to get all nervous about going on dates with him or anything else. And what I’m feeling now isn’t even the good kind of nervous, where you get butterflies and all that. It’s more like I feel kind of sick.

I know it’s probably just because of how things have been between us lately. Everything is just so different and tonight is probably the night where we both figure out if things can ever be the same again. And if it turns out that they can’t….well I don’t know what I would do.

“Ivy! Are you ready yet?” Wesley calls while knocking on the bathroom door.

“Uh, yeah! Just a second,” I reply and take once last deep breath.

I open the door to Wesley’s smiling face and a blush creeps into my cheeks. God, I missed him.

“You look nice,” he says, looking me over.

“Thanks, it’s was all Maya,” I reply. Well, it was mostly Maya. I had to put my foot down on some of the things that she wanted, like heels or a dress. I mean, I figured Wesley wasn’t taking me anywhere that fancy. Even after telling Maya this she still insisted, but finally we compromised on a simple lacy blue shirt with a pair of shorts. It was simple, but actually looked pretty cute.

“Should we go?” he asks and I nod, taking the hand that he offers.

He leads me downstairs, telling me a funny story about some of the guys he went surfing with earlier in the day. We’re about to walk out to his truck when we run into Dace, coming inside.

“Hey,” he says, nodding to us both. Then he glances down and notices that we’re holding hands. His eyes narrow almost imperceptibly, to the point that I don’t know whether I imagined it or not.

“Hey, Dace!” I reply, having to force a smile for some reason.

“Where are you guys going?” he asks, voice stiff. I look to Wesley since I don’t know the answer to that myself.

“Out,” Wesley replies his voice almost sounding like some sort of challenge as he locks eyes with Dace. Well, that’s weird. I thought everything was back to normal between them.

“Uh huh,” Dace says and then turns back to me. “When you get back come find me. I have something I need to talk to you about.”

Before I have a chance to reply he disappears into the other room. I continue to stare after him, chewing my lip in confusion, until Wesley pulls me towards the door. He doesn’t say anything else until we are already in his car.

“What was that about?” he asks me and I notice that his hands are clenched very hard around the steering wheel.

“Uh, I don’t know. Guess I’ll find out later,” I reply, which I realize a second later probably wasn’t the smartest thing for me to say.