Born Of Fire Chapter 34

Hey everyone! I have a special dedication to a fan of mine for this chapter!!! Kelissa is an awesome fan, who constantly comments and votes on my chapters, and quite literally sends soda flying out of my nose with her comments. I promised her that I would upload this new chapter for her whether I got forty votes or not, and I have kept to my word. 

In other news, I am instituting a new challenge for this chapter. Is 45 votes too much to ask? I hope not... I will upload again in one week or 45 votes, whichever happens first!

With the weapon coming down to cleave his head in two, Phoenix rolled to his right. The blade of the axe dug into the grass of the field, and the soldier wielding it brought it back up, high over his head, aiming for a second strike at the man below him. The warrior suddenly lit up with a red glow from behind, and his face contorted into a pain filled grimace. A scream wound its way out of his mouth before the flames pouring onto his back melted through his armor and toasted his organs, killing him on the spot. The axe dropped behind him, the pointed end sinking into the blood soaked earth, the handle pointing straight up to the azure sky.

Phoenix scrambled to his feet, looking for his savior. A young girl stood off in the distance, recovering from her attack. The flames still licked her knuckles as they retreated back into her hand, then she whirled and sent a wave of fire at another enemy, her long brown hair following her in her spin. Phoenix got to his feet and continued fighting, fashioning a pair of fire whips. Slicing his opponents with his whips, the combined forces of Boxor and the four decimated the ranks of Demetrius’ soldiers quickly, letting those who could run from the battlefield do so, having no interest in taking prisoners. Finally, the fighting slowed as the number of attacking soldiers dwindled. Phoenix stopped to rest, and the three joined him. Less than fifty hostile soldiers remained, and they left it to Boxor’s soldiers to finish the battle.

Finally, the young girl joined them as well, sitting beside Lindani and breathing heavily. 

After a moment, she raised her head and spoke. “Who are you?”

Lindani answered her. “I am Lindani, and this is my brother Spedro. Phoenix and Ember are the others.”

The girl pushed a lock of her brown hair behind an ear. “I am Kelissa. When we were looking over the wall and saw that elementals had come to defend us, I made sure that I was in the ranks that left the city.”

Phoenix looked at the dark skinned girl, and realized she could be no older than sixteen summers. “You are much too young to be fighting in full scale battles.”

Kelissa’s posture straightened. “Though I have seen fifteen summers, you are right. The elders permitted it, as I am the last of the Yaagalay in our city.”

Phoenix’s eyebrows shot up and his mind reeled. Boxor was known for its splendid Yaagalay. “The last? Where are the others?”

“Most are dead,” said Kelissa. “A small number of them set out just over a month ago, to try and kill as many of these attackers as possible.”

“We have done the same,” Lindani stated. “Our journey started in Yaag, and has led us here, chasing this contingent.”