Born Of Fire Chapter 14

Hey guys. First, thank you all so much for reading, it means a lot to me.

Second, Born Of Fire is on the home page! From all your votes, Born Of Fire is on the first page of Fantasy!

Third. Born Of Fire is #106 on the What's hot! Remember to vote, let's see how far up that thing it can get huh?

Again, thanks for reading, and make sure to tell me what you think in a comment!!!! Enjoy!!!!

________________________________

Phoenix just stared at her. She smiled, then winked. Lindani rose from the ground and extended a hand to Phoenix to help him up. Phoenix grasped her hand and she heaved, pulling him to his feet.

“Now follow my lead. Do not reach for the water, these are simply the motions,” Lindani said, bringing her hands to her chest, palms overlapping one another between her breasts.

Phoenix mimicked her, then she tilted her hands until her palms faced down. Bending at the knees she extended her hands to almost touch the ground. Lindani tilted her palms again to face upward, then slowly rose to her feet, pushing her hands up to the sky. She stayed motionless for a moment, then separated her hands to a more defensive hand-to-hand combat stance, then started moving slowly, making sure Phoenix could keep up. Constantly moving, the motions were much different than the strikes in the use of fire and Phoenix was struggling to keep up. He followed as closely as he could, making a few mistakes, each one eliciting a smile from Lindani as she watched him from the corner of her eye. Finally, Lindani slowed and stood still, breathing evenly. Phoenix, not used to constant movement, was breathing heavily. 

Lindani gave him a moment to recover, then called an orb, circling her hands around it. “According to stories I have heard from the village, you fought a Piaslo just before you freed us?”

Phoenix nodded and she continued. “The story goes that the orb simply splashed against your chest, doing no damage. Is this true?”

“Yes, but I was under the impression that my fire weakened it.”

Lindani smiled a knowing smile. “Light your hand Phoenix, as hot as you can.”

Lindani walked a few yards away, then turned back to face him. Phoenix lit his hand, concentrating on the heat until the fire turned blue, hissing as it seared the air.

Lindani spoke again. “When the orb reaches you, catch it if you can.”

Phoenix scoffed, knowing from previous experience that the orb would impact his palm, then any water that hadn’t evaporated would lose form and splash to the ground. Lindani called an orb from the river, then gathered momentum by sending it around her back one-handed. Catching it with the other, she spun in a circle and thrust out, aiming for Phoenix’s chest. Phoenix watched as the orb zip through the air, astonished at its speed. The orbs the Piaslo sent at him moved nowhere near as quickly. Reaching across his chest, he attempted to catch the orb, aiming to dissipate it.  The sphere impacted, dousing his flame and pushing his hand back into his sternum, then knocking him to the ground. Phoenix couldn’t breathe as he lay there, gasping, on the bed of grass. A thousand thoughts flashed through his mind, the foremost being, How did she do that?