Born Of Fire Chapter 29

As promised, because of the amount of votes I got without posting a challenge, here is a new chapter!!!

Now this chapter is a bit shorter than my others, about 300 words less, but it's all I could do in 45 mins, so bear with me!

Now, do me a favor and look to the left top corner of the WattPad page on your screen. Good.

See that little star thingy with the number in it? Click it! Good job.

Why you ask? Because if you click it, your computer will push a cupcake out of its disk drive!

It's a cupcake button!

And for those of you who use NetBooks, which do not have disk drives, your cupcake will arrive via UPS within seven to ten business days!

---------------------------------------------

Phoenix stood, at a loss for what to do. Spedro rose, and Phoenix braced himself. If someone made Ember cry, Phoenix would be angry, and he expected no less of Lindani’s brother. Anything Spedro was going to give, Phoenix felt he deserved. Spedro walked to Phoenix, and laid a hand on his shoulder, jerking his head away from the camp. Phoenix followed Spedro’s lead, out of Ember’s range of hearing, and they stopped at the base of a large tree. Phoenix left his arms at his side, expecting a blow from the large man, and was surprised when Spedro sighed, and turned toward him, sadness in his eyes.

“You are not a stupid man Phoenix,” Spedro began. “You know exactly why she is like this right now, but you refuse to give in to her. I understand why, and I can see why you feel this way.”

Phoenix, rather shocked, nodded and continued to listen. “Whichever you choose, you have my blessing. But do not torment her so, as it pains me to see her like this. No matter what you choose, she will not leave you, nor will I. Our mission is more important than emotion, and we can settle feelings later if this turns ill.”

Phoenix nodded again, and turned to leave, back to the camp. Spedro’s hand fell on his shoulder once more, and he turned back. “We need you just as much you need us Phoenix, remember that. We do not travel with you because you saved us. We protected your village once, which paid back our debt. We are with you because we choose to be, nothing else.”

When Spedro finished, he turned back to the camp and left Phoenix in wonder. For a long time Phoenix stood in the woods, thinking over his current position. Long after the fire died, and Spedro and Ember both slumbered, Phoenix walked past the glowing coals of what was once their fire.

Lindani’s tent flap was closed, but Phoenix entered anyway, pulling the flap back silently, to not wake her in case she slept. Lindani was awake, sitting cross legged on her blankets, deep in meditation. Phoenix tread softly, and sat opposite her, drinking in the sight of her lithe body, namely how her silky hair framed her face. Her black hair cascaded down her shoulders, resting on her right breast, making him swallow a lump in his throat. Her eyes snapped open, and the depth of green caused his heart to flutter for a split second.

Silently, she appraised him with her eyes, and he felt self conscious. He had never seen malice in her normally happy eyes, and it unnerved him now. Especially knowing that it was directed toward him.

Before she knocked him on his back again, he spoke, keeping his voice low, in case their siblings had faked their sleep. “I am not as dense as you might think Lindani. I knew what Dorea was doing, and I was proud when you froze the ale in her glass. When you left the bath, I was surprised, and I didn’t know what to do. I know your anger toward me is not because you fight with me, but…”

He paused, not knowing how to continue. Lindani waited, then picked up where he left off. “In the months we know each other, we have grown close, and you did not want to harm our friendship. And the fact that we fight together held the same risk.”

Phoenix was surprised, but was able to nod. Lindani rolled her eyes, and continued. “But not answering my advances, with either affirmation or rejection held the same risk Phoenix. It just made me think that you are stupid, or that it was your form of rejection.”

 “Not at all Lindani. I was smitten with you the night I saw you in that cage, when your eyes bored into mine before I burned the tents.”

She sighed, exasperated. “Then why did you choose to wait this long?”

“In the beginning it was because all the women in my home do not understand me, and choose to joke about me. I wanted to make sure you were not like them.”

“And after you were sure I was not?”

Phoenix hung his head. “I did not know how to proceed.”

Lindani rolled her eyes once more. “And what is the choice you have made then?”

Phoenix didn’t answer, but moved onto his knees, sidling closer to her. Her green eyes widened as his head dipped to hers, softly touching their lips together. A spark of electricity traveled down Phoenix’s spine, and their kiss deepened.  Her tongue flicked at his bottom lip, and he answered with his own. Lindani raised herself up onto her own knees, wrapping her arms around his neck, pulling him closer. His hands roamed down to her sides, and she loosened her armor, letting it fall to the floor.

She still wore the tunic beneath it, and Phoenix tugged at its hem, raising it. A throat cleared, and they broke the kiss, with Phoenix turning quickly, lighting his hand.

Phoenix then realized two things at once; his other hand was on Lindani’s backside, and it was Ember who had disturbed them. She wore a large smile, and sweetly asked if Phoenix had any water left in his skin. Lindani burst into laughter, then lightheartedly threw a small orb for Ember, laughing when it splashed against her face. Ember smiled through it all, thanked them, and closed the tent flap once more.

Lindani lay back, her head resting on her pillow with a smile, and she beckoned Phoenix closer. He lay beside her, and his ear tingled when she whispered into it. “We have all the time in the world. Let us sleep for now, you must be tired.”

Phoenix nodded, and she turned from him, then scooted back, nestling her back into his chest. His hardness poked from behind and she giggled, then lay her head on his arm, while he wrapped his other around her waist, pulling her close. Her body molded to his perfectly, and he could smell her hair whenever he breathed deeply. She fell asleep quickly, and he watched her sleep for a long time before finally succumbing to slumber himself, a content smile on his lips.

---------------------------------------------------------

See?! Phoenix is not as stupid as everyone thought!!!

If you liked the new developments, tell me so in a comment!!!