Born Of Fire Chapter 38

Okay everyone, this is the chapter a lot of you have been waiting for! It should be three pages, at least I think it is. Comments are my favorite thing in the whole world, next to votes that is, so please remember to  comment? Even if it just to say hi? 

Now back to challenges! Yay! I will upload at 45 votes, or one week, whichever happens first. Enjoy this new chapter everyone!!!!

The four said goodbye, and turned their horses to the north. With a quick yell, Phoenix dug his heels into Blaze’s side, and the horse lunged forward. Kelissa watched until the four disappeared over the hills, and turned back into the city with a sigh.

As the four crested the hill, they were greeted by a familiar sight. Rows and rows of black tents spread out over a large area had served as the Demetrius’ soldiers camp. Things were in disarray, with pots and cooking utensils flipped in the dirt, tents support poles failing, and fires smoldering.

“Those who escaped the battle must have come here first,” said Lindani. “They took all the supplies they could and ran like the cowards they are.”

Phoenix dismounted, and slowly made his way past the first row of tents, looking this way and that. No enemies presented themselves, but his posture did not relax. One mistake and they could all end up dead.

Into the middle of the camp he strode, seeing the lustrous tent that could only be the Captains. A coat of arms was on the flap, a rearing lion, and the symbols for each element below its feet.

“He aims to rule all the Zuhdalay,” whispered Ember.

“Not while we live,” Phoenix replied, and turned to the tent left of the dead Captains.

Lighting his hand, Phoenix used burst through the flap, scanning for danger. None presented itself, and Phoenix found what he was looking for. Four wooden boxes sat in a corner, and he bent down to them, extinguishing his hand. Light spilled into the tent, and Spedro had to stoop as he made his way to Phoenix.

“What are these?” he asked.

Phoenix opened one of the boxes, and saw the round stones arranged neatly within. He removed one, and handed it to Spedro. “These are the source of Baskor’s power.”

Spedro took it, and it rolled in his palm. Closing his eyes, Spedro concentrated a moment. “This stone is unique. I have never before held something like this.”

Phoenix nodded knowingly. “Can you tell me the ingredients?”

Eyes still closed, Spedro nodded. “Sulfur.”

Then the large man cocked his head to the side. “Charcoal.”

A moment passed, and Spedro’s eyes flew open. “I cannot tell exactly, but the last ingredient is some form of salt. Something has been done to it.”

Phoenix nodded, and pulled the box from the tent, out into the sunlight. The women looked at the box, and Phoenix explained to them.

Ember nodded, finally understanding. “When Spedro could not control them, I knew it was some form of science instead of the regular powers of a Yaagalo.”

“Everyone step back,” Phoenix said, and the three followed his order.

When the others were at a safe distance, Phoenix removed one of the stones from the box, and threw it at the nearest tent with all his might. It bounced off the canvas and rolled onto the floor, dormant. Phoenix waited a moment, then strode forward cautiously, bent and retrieved the stone. Trying again, it bounced off of the canvas and hit the floor, none of the red energy Phoenix had seen in his fight against Baskor was visible on its surface.