Born Of Fire Chapter 24

Recap: A throat was cleared, and Phoenix jumped out of the chair, startled. Spedro stood in the doorway of his own room, smirk painting his face. “If you two are finished? We really must be going.”

Ember stumbled out of her room, eyes blurry with sleep. Without a word to anyone, she made her way to the washroom. Spedro and Lindani looked at Phoenix questioningly before he chuckled and spoke. “That is not a woman you want to mess with before she has fully woken. She turns into a She-Demon quite quickly.”

Enjoy!!!! 

Half an hour later, Ember left the washroom and stumbled back to her room. Phoenix and the others each washed their faces then set about packing the things they would need. Phoenix  was the first to finish and set his bag by the door in the living room, then sat and waited for the others. Spedro finished next, followed by Lindani. The three sat and waited for Ember, who seemed to be having trouble. Crashes and bangs were heard from her room until she finally appeared, holding two large burlap bags. Spedro rose and lifted the bags from her hands, then tossed them into the pile by the door.

Wordlessly, the four started strapping weapons to themselves. Lindani brandished a Jian then inspected the hilt. The sword glinted in the light, the sun bouncing off of the polished blade. The hand guard was simple, though elegant, with a dark red stone embedded in the pommel. Sliding the blade into the sheath on her hip, she then bent and picked up her water skin, making sure it was full.

Ember slid a small steel dagger into a sheath on her back, while Spedro dropped a battle axe onto the floor. “I do not require a weapon. My element is enough.”

Phoenix raised an eyebrow, before strapping a broadsword to his back and making sure it could be removed quickly in case of a fight.

“Are we all ready?” asked Phoenix.

Ember sighed, then grabbed her bags. “We are.”

Out the door the four filed, heading to the stables. They made quick work of preparing the tack, and strapping their belongings to the animals. They had acquired a small audience by this time, and Doritan was striding toward them as they led the beasts trough the doors of the stable.

“Where do you think you are going?” he inquired.

Phoenix bent to secure his saddle. “To take the fight to Demetrius.”

Doritan’s mouth fell open. “And who will protect us while you are absent?”

“You have more than enough capable warriors. If they are made aware that I am not here to protect them, they will not cower as they have done in battles past,” Phoenix said, crossing his arms and staring his father down.

Doritan clenched his teeth, and hissed through them. “You are not going anywhere until we are certain that Demetrius’ forces no longer pose a threat. You are to stay in this village and assist in defending it.”

Laughing, Phoenix turned to his horse, aptly named Blaze. Setting his foot in the stirrup, Phoenix hauled himself up, swinging his other leg over the horses back and into the other stirrup. When he was settled, he spat on the ground at his father’s feet. “Who are you to tell me what I will and will not do?”