Born Of Fire Chapter 37

Sorry this took so long to update everyone, but work has been a B*TCH! I want to know what everyone thinks about Kelissa, so please, leave a comment!

With a lopsided smile, Phoenix asked his forgiveness, and Kelissa instantly forgave him, apologizing for attacking him. Phoenix just laughed, and they sat for a long time, with Phoenix teaching her the differing levels of control of her flame.

Ember strode into the training area, and stood above Phoenix and Kelissa, smiling gently. Phoenix stopped mid-sentence and looked up at her questioningly.

“The elders of Boxor would like to speak to us Phoenix,” Ember said, extending a hand to him while he sat cross legged on the stone.

He grasped it and let her pull him to his feet, chuckling when her strength failed, and she used her free hand to conjure a blast of wind to raise him fully. Kelissa stood as well, nodding to Ember.

“What has Phoenix taught you so far Kelissa?” Ember asked.

Kelissa brought her hand up, and lit it, and flecks of blue were visible within. While it burned, she spoke. “I am not as strong as Phoenix, so my HellFire is not quite as powerful, but I have never heard of another Yaagalo being able to conjure it.”

She closed her hand, the flame died out, and the three turned from the arena, back for the inn. Phoenix bathed and changed quickly, then the four followed Kelissa through the city, back to the door of the elders meeting place. A throng of people stood outside, barring the way. Phoenix tensed, as did Spedro, and both of them braced to defend themselves, and the women. Phoenix pushed his way to the front, pushing Kelissa behind him. Staring down the mass of people, Phoenix was surprised when a cheer went up, the people chanting their names. The group separated, and Phoenix and the others walked through the doors, the shouts going silent as the doors closed behind them. Kelissa bowed before the panel of elders, and the four followed suit. Makot bade them to rise, and five chairs were brought in for them.

They sat, and Makot spoke. “We have pondered long and hard of the news you bring us Phoenix, and we have decided that we want to help.”

“And how would you like to do that?” Phoenix asked.

Kontrala was the one who answered him. “We would like to send a unit of our soldiers with you.”

Phoenix looked at his three companions, and all their eyes said the same. “We thank you, but we must decline.”

Another of the elders leaned forward, studying the four young people before him. “And why do you refuse our offer?”

Phoenix rose from the chair, standing tall before the elders. “We cannot protect both ourselves, and your soldiers. And all due respect, we do not need their help.”

Kelissa rose to stand beside Phoenix, and bowed to one knee. “I would gladly join Phoenix and the others on their quest if the elders would permit it.”

Phoenix turned, surprised. The elders were struck, and none spoke. Phoenix laid a hand on the young girls shoulder, and she stood to her feet. “Kelissa, I appreciate your offer, but your city needs you. You are the last Yaagalee of Boxor, and must stay to protect it.”

Kelissa opened her mouth to argue, but Kontrala cut in before the words left her mouth. “Then allow us to help you in some way, simply out of gratitude.”

Phoenix turned back to the elders. “And how would you like to do so?”

Makot replied with a wave of his hand. “You must need supplies.”

“We do not,” Ember said. “Darval supplied us with everything we need, and we have barely scratched the surface.”

“So we are to be indebted to you then?”

“No,” said Phoenix. “We were chasing that contingent, and would have caught up with them at some point. Thank the Gods it was when they were attacking you.”

Makot rose, and laid his hand on Phoenix’s shoulder. “And what will you do now?”

“There must be other cities and peoples that need our help. We will go to them, and lend any assistance we can. Our objective can be met both ways.”

“Then may the gods watch over you in your journeys,” Makot said, turning to Kelissa. “Whenever they are ready to leave, please make sure they have anything they require.”

Kelissa nodded, and turned to leave. The four followed her out, and trailed behind her as they walked to the stables to retrieve their horses. Nothing was said as they walked to the gates, leading their horses through the streets. A few more people congratulated them as they passed, and the guards at the gate nodded before pulling open the heavy wooden doors.

Phoenix bent to check his tack, and when he was satisfied, pulled himself into the saddle. Turning to Kelissa, he noticed the sullen look she wore. “Kelissa, you must understand. Your city needs you. Without a Yaagalee, the Boxor will fall. One day, maybe we will meet again.”

Kelissa bowed her head, and touched her fingers to her forehead. “May the fire of the Gods keep you warm, and light your path when all seems lost.”

The four said goodbye, and turned their horses to the north. With a quick yell, Phoenix dug his heels into Blaze’s side, and the horse lunged forward. Kelissa watched until the four disappeared over the hills, and turned back into the city with a sigh.