Born Of Fire Chapter 33

I am sorry this is so short everyone, but it has to be to set up the next chapter. Thanks to all who voted and commented on the last chapter. This is strictly a battle scene, with little to no dialogue. Tell me what you think! Fourty more votes, and I will upload again quickly!

Directing the wave toward the mammoth boulder hovering before him, Phoenix watched it melt quickly. Ember was busy conjuring a maelstrom of monumental proportions, and Phoenix could feel the suction of the spinning vortex beginning to lay hold of his body, pulling on his clothing. Just then, the charge was sounded in the distance, and seven hundred of the thousand soldiers began running toward them, swords drawn, mouths wide open in a simultaneous battle cry that threatened to drown out the roaring of Ember’s vortex. Phoenix realized that the men who had run from them must have caught the Captains ear, and the Captain was not willing to underestimate them as Baskor had.

Ember nodded to Lindani then, who pushed the swirling globe of water into the upper portion of the windstorm. Lindani closed her eyes in concentration, and after a moment, with the soldiers thundering toward them, opened them and nodded to Phoenix. Phoenix gave the all clear, and Spedro sent the boulder of molten rock toward the men bearing down on them, who were still a small ways off. It flew through the air, and Spedro spread his hands, stretching the mass of lava into a line a hundred feet across. Lindani gave a small grunt of exertion, and Phoenix could see the large globs of water thrown through the air from the storm. The globs split into small pieces of ice, their sharp edges glinting in the sunlight.

The ice reached the soldiers first, and Phoenix saw the first line fall as limbs were severed, and shrapnel ripped through body after body, easily ripping through the armor of the first three lines of men with ease, slowing down only after moving well into the fourth and fifth line, as men fell with screams of agony. Blood sprayed, swords and spears fell, and the lines of undamaged soldiers stepped on and over their fallen comrades in an effort to kill the elementals attacking them.

Just then, Spedro’s line of molten stone hit them, and more men fell as their armor was melted, and men were cooked in their armor. More screams rose into the afternoon, and the smell of blood and cooked flesh reached Phoenix’s nose. Phoenix took a quick count, and estimated two hundred men left of the seven hundred. Phoenix balked at the amount of warriors they had killed, and realized that together, their power was unmatched.

The two hundred soldiers slowed, then stopped their charge, simply looking at the Zuhdalay before them. Phoenix started forward, and the three followed in his footsteps. The two hundred turned and ran back for their company, unknowing of the fate that had befallen them. While Phoenix and the other had been killing the soldiers, Boxor’s own soldiers had taken advantage of their distraction and moved from the western wall and snuck up on Demetrius’ force from behind, while their rapt attention was focused on Phoenix.

They had methodically cut down at least a hundred and fifty of the remaining soldiers, and were blasting through the ranks with swords, axes, knives, and halberds. Phoenix and the three sprinted across the gap between them, joining in the fray. He sent orb after orb into the crowd of soldiers, sneering as the flames splashed against plates of armor, melting it on contact, killing the men who wore it. Phoenix could feel his limbs faltering through the fight, and realized that the exertion from the joint attack had drained him, and looked to Spedro to see more of the same.

Instead of jumping into the fight wholeheartedly, Spedro chose to hang back and cause the earth to swallow men in the blink of an eye, creating a mass grave a few feet below the grass of the field. Ember was shoving concentrated air down the throats of the soldiers she fought, exploding their lungs in their chests. He glanced to Lindani, who was flicking her wrists, and Phoenix was amazed to see shards of ice erupt from breastplates of armor as each warrior she fought fell. Feeling the burn in his muscles, Phoenix slipped, and a soldier knocked him to the ground, and raised his axe high.