Born Of Fire Chapter 58

Okay guys, new chapter!!!! Born Of Fire hit one million reads today! A new challenge for this chapter guys. 90 votes, or one week, whichever happens first!!! Enjoy!

Giving the man his thanks, he kicked the door closed and laid the woman on the bed.

Lindani grunted and sat up, running her hands down her leggings in an effort to remove the blood from them. She looked under her fingernails, and sighed. “I think I’ll take a quick bath,” she said, rising from the bed. “You’re welcome to join me if you like?”

Phoenix smiled, and shook his head. “Not tonight. I am going to stand guard with Spedro; make sure Ahna is protected.”

Lindani nodded, and pulled her tunic over her head, leaving her in a form fitting undershirt. Phoenix bit his bottom lip, attempting to control himself. Even covered in blood, this woman still looked amazing. Lindani giggled, and went to remove the undershirt. “Oh, no you don’t,” Phoenix spit out, turning for the door. “Ahna’s life outweighs my…needs.”

Lindani giggled again, and Phoenix shut the door, cutting the sound off before it convinced him to stay. He walked through the city streets quickly, wanting to arrive before someone else made an attempt on Ahna’s life. He reached the abode, and knocked three times on the door, waiting for Spedro to come open it. A moment passed before Phoenix could feel Spedro’s footsteps making their way to the threshold. The door opened, and Spedro waved him in without a word. Down a hallway and through another door, they came to Ahna’s bedroom. Spedro stopped, and sat in a chair in the hall. “You stay in the room with her, I’ll stay out here. In case you need help, just call and I will come.”

Phoenix nodded and opened Ahna’s door to see her lying in a large bed, made with large pillows and thick blankets. Moonlight streamed in through the open window, giving everything the room a faint blue colored tinge. An old woman bent over the unconscious Ahna, applying new bandages over the wound. Phoenix walked up silently, nodding to the woman when she met his eye. “How is she?”

“Only time will tell,” said the Elder, turning back to the woman in the bed. “You could not catch the man who did this?”

Phoenix grit his teeth and turned to the window, closing it tightly. Lighting a torch on the wall with a flick of his wrist, he remembered how quickly the assassin had run over the rooftops. “No. We cannot figure out how he gained entrance to the city. Only one soldier was killed by being thrown over the wall, and that was when he was trying to escape.”

The woman nodded. “I am Jacka,” she said, pulling the blankets over Ahna, her work completed. Phoenix nodded, and she went on. “So no soldiers were killed to allow him entrance?”

Phoenix shook his head, and Jacka bit her bottom lip, seemingly in thought. “Well, he either found a way to enter the city without being detected and could not use the same route to escape, or he was already in the city to begin with.”

Phoenix’s cocked his head to the side as the revelation went through his mind. Jacka gathered her things and bade him goodnight, and he sunk down in his chair, thinking through the plan that had sparked in his mind.

Morning came slowly for Phoenix, and when it finally did, he found he could barely stay awake. With everything from the stone he had taken from Secrat, to Ahna being wounded, he was drained. Another hour passed and Spedro opened the door silently, beckoning him into the hall. Phoenix wiped the tiredness from his eyes and rose, following Spedro through the door.