17. Coldness

The proud, the cold untroubled heart of stone, that never mused on sorrow but its own.

~Thomas Campbell

~~~~~~

Stacey stretched out her hand and pouted as she felt the softness of the black sheets instead of Darius' warm body. Opening one eye, she looked at the empty sheets and frowned. With a yawn, she woke up and a smile kissed her lips as the events of the previous night played in her mind. She felt giddy and giggled as she realized that she had finally won the trust of Darius, something she was dying to claim as her own.

'He is going to tell me everything today.' Stacey squealed and jumped out of the bed.

She was about to check the time on her cell phone when a yellow sticky note captured her attention. She grinned even before reading the note for she knew it was Darius' eat cursive writing.

The note said:

Robert is outside waiting for you. I have a meeting to attend. We will meet later on.

-Darius. 

Stacey's grin disappeared as a frown turned her lips upside down. She sensed the coldness emitted by the note as it lacked any warm greeting and endearments. She rubbed the back of her hand on her forehead as she gnawed her bottom lip, thinking what went wrong suddenly.

A knock at the door was followed by Robert's voice, "You awake, Ms. Jones?"

Stacey cleared her throat and said, "Yes, I am."

She opened the door and greeted Robert.

"You are finally awake. I have already knocked for two times earlier but there was no response from you. Stella is asking for you at the mansion."

"Has Stella not gone to her play way?" Stacey frowned.

"No. Mr. Brooks dropped her at the mansion as she refused to go to play way today. She wanted to spend her day with you and master Darius." Robert told her with a smile.  

"That is great then. Let me get freshen up and we shall leave." Stacey said.

Robert left after nodding her head as Stacey went in the bathroom.

~~~~~~

"Momma." Stella hugged Stacey's legs, letting out a squeal. Stacey stroked Stella's hair and smiled down at her.

"Good morning sweetie." Stacey let Stella hold her hand and lead them to the living room after greeting her back and confessing how much she missed her.

"Where Sun?" Stella asked, looking around.

Stacey sighed and said, "He had some work to attend, sweetie."

"I miss him." Stella said and her lower lip quivered.

Stacey hugged her and said, "I know, sweetie. but his work is important too. He will come back later on."

"Okay." Stella pouted and sat next to her mother.

"Here, I brought breakfast on the way for us. We have chicken nuggets, chocolate smoothies and bacon." Stacey said as they both went into the kitchen where Johan greeted them.

"Johan, you have to join us for the breakfast too and where is Van?" Stacey said, taking the cutlery from the glass cabinet.

"And what about the breakfast I prepared?" Johan asked with a frown.

"Pancakes?" Stella's eyes brightened up as she saw the pancakes mounted up in a plate.

"Yes, I made them for you, little princess." Johan said, laying the plate on the table.