2. Fault

Hearts can break. Yes, hearts can break. Sometimes I think it would be better if we died when they did, but we don't.

~Stephen King

~~~~~~

"You and your daughter will sleep on the sofa." Darius said to Stacey with expressionless face though his eyes screamed anger. Stacey looked at the grey sofa which just added to the darkness of the mansion. She wanted to know why the mansion was dimly lit and so lifeless. The only colors that welcomed them were black and the darkest shades of grey. Nevertheless, she nodded her head. She was grateful that she had found at least a safe place to live in.

All the time Stella hid behind Stacey's legs as if she was afraid that her mother would disappear into the darkness. As she got to know she would be living in almost dark mansion and that too on the sofa she felt her body shiver. Her tight hold on Stacey's legs made her mother look at her with worried eyes.

Stacey crouched down to Stella's level and frowned as she saw Stella's violet eyes full of fear . Stacey kissed Stella's forehead and asked softly, "What happened sweetie?"

Stella looked at Stacey with big violet eyes and clutched her shoulders. "This house scary, momma." The tears welled up in her eyes as she hid her face in the crook of Stacey's neck who felt her heart aching for her daughter. She thought of requesting Darius to give them a room at least.

"Sorry to interrupt you, Sir but your father had already ordered us to prepare the guest room for Ms. Jones and her daughter. He had strictly commanded the best treatment for them." Johan Barns, 30 years old chef, said timidly to Darius, holding a spatula in his right hand. His blue eyes shifted from Darius to Stacey and came back to Darius after giving Stella a light smile.

"Then follow the bloody orders of my father." With that Darius stormed out of the mansion, ignoring the flinching Stella.

Stacey heaved a sigh of relief and calmed down her daughter who let out a yawn.

"The little princess here seems sleepy to me." Johan said to Stella, flicking her nose gently with his index finger. She let out a giggle and shied away.

"She is definitely a shy girl. Hello, Ms. Jones. I am Johan Barns, chef of this mansion. Welcome to Melbourne." He gave Stacey a charming smile which she returned with an appreciative one.

"Hey Johan. Thank you for coming to my rescue and please call me Stacey."

"It is not at all a problem, Stacey. And let me show you your room. Come on princess." Johan extended out his hand to Stella who looked at her mother. As she received a nod from Stacey, she placed her little hand in Johan's large one hesitantly. But before they could move a girl around Stacey's age stood in front of them. Her manicured hands were placed on her hips and her black eyes glared at Johan. The paleness of her skin was clearly visible in the dull lights.

"Don't you think it is my job to attend them, Johan?" The girl's perfectly arched eyebrow went up while her glare faltered as her eyes met with Stella's.

"It is your job to attend the guests but you were not here, Vanessa. " Johan defended himself to which Vanessa gave him a sheepish smile.

"Now shoo away Johan. Our guests must be starving."

Johan's eyes went wide as he looked at Stacey. "How could I even forget that?"

Stacey smiled as his thick eyebrows furrowed slightly while his nose scrunched up. He ran a hand through his sandy blond hair. She shook her head as she said, "No worries about that Johan. I am not hungry. Stella here may like something."