Chapter Twenty-Eight

Chapter Twenty-Eight (Julian)

Shit.

That was probably the only way I could describe our current situation.

So far, our plan was working, but not without casualties. Using the cell phone Vladimir had given me to keep in contact with him and the others, I had learned that Daimonas had been attacked (Vladimir wouldn't go into details) and Seth was bleeding out big time after coughing up his demon whom he'd named Anoki.

And Zephyra was swarming the place for us.

The good news was that Xed had managed to kill at least twenty-eight members, including Jack. While I actually ached at the fact that I hadn't had the chance to kill the bastard myself, it was good enough for me.

We still didn't have time to celebrate our victory, though. We still had a few more generals to kill and Giorgos. All of whom had congregated on the building in order to attack. Giorgos had apparently called them out ahead of time after we had gotten to the city and jumped Orion's girlfriend and they had shown up recently.

Which meant we could kill all of them at once, especially with the bomb Newell had instructed us to plant at the base of the building.

Even a vampire had its limits and having several tons of solid brick and rock fall on your head was one of them.

 Now it was just a matter of keeping Zephyra in the building, staying in the building ourselves long enough to distract them before we made our get away where Newell, Peter, and Walter should be waiting. I just hoped things went well between Walter and Peter. Peter had looked really nervous and upset before we left. I could tell he was worried about Hunter too. No one had seen him since he disappeared from the lobby during his argument with Peter.

But there was no time to mess with him and his petty issues.

We were on a mission and we had to finish it this time, to the very last vampire.

"Are you all right?" Adam asked me, his breath hot against my ear as we hid around the corner of a hallway. I shivered at the feel of it and just nodded to him. He studied me for a second, then reached up to tuck a lock of hair behind my ear. I shivered at the feel of it and tilted my head back, kissing him on the cheek. He smiled very faintly at that before tilting his head to look around.

"Think we should move?" He asked. I nodded. He took my hand and we stepped out from behind our hiding place, moving down the hallway as silently as possible. We had led the group of Zephyra members outside through the back door and into the building where they were now searching the lower floor for us. We had locked the doors and moved toward the center, making our way to the other side of the building where we would make our escape.

But it was getting harder.

There were members everywhere and with everyone non-human, they could hear much better, smell, see. It was dangerous.

"Do you think Seth is going to be okay? Daimonas too?" I asked as we walked. Adam nodded at that, squeezing my hand in his.

"I have no doubt about it. You know Kipp wouldn't let anything happen to Seth. And Daimonas is with Vladimir. I can't think of a safer place."

"But he said Daimonas was attacked."

"That was before Vladimir got to him, but now they're together and Daimonas is safe. You need to stop worrying, Julian. They're fine. We're fine. We're doing great so far, don't jinx us." Adam told me, pausing at the corner of a hallway to peer around to make sure the coast was clear. I didn't say anything to that, just held Adam's hand tightly in mine, biting at my lower lip. I still couldn't shake the bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.