Chapter Three

Chapter Three (Julian)

"Daimonas?"

He nodded his head, then stopped to choke and lean forward, holding his hand under his mouth as blood poured out onto his palm. Seth made a noise of disgust, shoving his gun back into his belt and giving Daimonas a nasty glare.

"Thanks, by the way. I love when people bleed all over the inside of my car." He muttered. Daimonas glared at him past his hair, then leaned outside the car for the blood to ooze out. I grimaced, touching his shoulder before he leaned back, looking up at me with a grimace.

"How do we know it's you?" Walter asked with a frown. Kipp nodded in agreement, frowning.

"Yeah, you could be a shapeshifter." He pointed out, making Seth wince at the idea. Adam looked at me and I looked back before dropping my eyes to look at Daimonas.

"What about your lisp?" I asked. Daimonas scowled.

"I don't have sharp teeth and two tongues. I can talk just fine in this human's body," He explained, then paused to cough harshly, "Ugh, unfortunately, his body is far too weak to contain me. He'll start falling apart any second, so I'm going to have to hop out. And you need to take this human to a hospital. Zephyra attacked us on our way out." I hesitated at that and nodded, stepping back to give him room as he leaned out of the car and fell on his knees on the wet asphalt, his wet hair sticking to his face. He hesitated a moment, then a black cloud of smoke whipped around him like a mini-tornado before soaring through the air and landing beside me.

Seconds later, Daimonas was standing next to me in his true form. The midnight black skin and white hair, white lashes, white horns, eerie reptilian eyes, tail, claws, teeth, tongues, everything was there. Well, except his clothes. It wasn't a trick. Even a shapeshifter wouldn't be able to do something this complicated.

"Whoa," Kipp exclaimed, covering his eyes and looking away, "The least you could do was conjure up som clothes." Daimonas scowled, folding his arms over his chest and cocking a hip with not a lick of shame.

"I do not like clothesss. They are conssstricting." He responded icily, making Kipp blush. Seth raised an eyebrow and looked at me, warning me telepathetically to give Daimonas something to wear, so I sighed and stripped off my sweatshirt, handing it to Daimonas, who made a face at the garment, but when he caught all of us staring at him intently, he reluctantly put the sweatshirt on so it just barely hid his genitalia. He almost looked cute, but his teeth and tongues sorta turned me off as I cleared my throat and looked at Hunter, who was slumped back into the car, unconscious.

"Shit," I muttered bitterly, "We need to get Hunter to a hospital. There's one just down the road. Let's go. Daimonas, you're riding with Adam and I so I can get the story straight." Daimonas gave me a salute and I looked at the others, who nodded in agreement. Adam and I went to the truck and managed to squeeze Daimonas in between us, which wasn't too hard considering Daimonas was quite thin. In fact, now that I got a better look at him, he'd lost weight since we last saw each other and there were several dots on his throat and the insides of his elbows from needles.

"What happened to you?" I asked at last as Adam started the truck and we pulled out of the parking lot to follow Seth. Daimonas sat there in silence for a moment, staring straight ahead before he looked around the truck and started touching everything on the dashboard.

"Thisss isss amazing," He exclaimed, "What isss all of thisss? What'sss thisss do?"

"Daimonas! That's really not important right now--"

"It isss," He insisted, "I have been locked in the sssame room for an entire year, being poked and proded asss if I were nothing, but an experiment, a meal of sssome sssort. They tried asssking me quessstionss and doing tesssts, having people come in and drink my blood, trying to get me to ussse my abilitiesss. I want to know what isss outssside the world I knew before." I wanted to tell him that it wasn't as important as what happened to him while he was away, but I suddenly felt guilty because part of the reason he was captured in the first place was my fault, so I just nodded and sat back in silence, watching Daimonas play with the buttons on the dash, turning on the radio and cassette player and almost made Adam crash into the sidewalk because he was trying to play with the wheel.