Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One (Julian)

Pain exploded into my skull as Jack slammed me hard into the wall and let me drop. My whole body felt heavy and achy. I was still recovering from my last run in with him, but even that short period of time wasn't enough for me to gain back my strength.

I breathed hard, tasting more blood in my mouth. I parted my lips to let it ooze out before I peered up past my blood stained hair to see Jack dusting his hands off, a sadistic smirk on his face.

"Man, you make blood look good. Must be a Grey thing." He added, then seemed to remember Daimonas, who was standing nearby and still looking nervous and uneasy. I don't think he knew what to do and it was a little surprising to see Daimonas, of all people, so frozen up. It was like he couldn't move. Jack turned on him, but I wasn't about to let him get his hands on Daimonas. Against all the protests my body made against movement, I forced myself up and threw myself on Jack's back, making him snarl. He tried to rip me off, but I sank my fingernails into his body, arms around his throat.

"Go!" I shouted at Daimonas, who blinked and looked at me in confusion before he shook his head vigorously.

"No! Not without you!" He snapped. I gritted my teeth in disbelief. Since when did Daimonas like me so much? Of course, I didn't have time to ponder that as Jack slammed himself backwards into a wall, crushing me. I hissed in pain and sank to the floor, breathing hard. Jack wasn't finished, though, and whipped around, kicking me in the stomach.

All the oxygen left my lungs and I choked, wrapping my arms around myself tightly as I fell onto my left side, breathing hard for air. Jack glared down at me, then turned on Daimonas, who backed up a step.

"Come 'ere, you pathetic little lizard." Jack crooned rudely. Daimonas stiffened at that, and rather than get nervous or scared again, he glared.

"Shut up! I'm a demon, not a lizard!" He snapped back angrily. Jack rolled his eyes, but smirked anyway and went to grab him, but Daimonas moved fast and sank his teeth down into Jack's wrist. Jack howled in pain and drew his arm close to bring Daimonas with him, but the movement only made Daimonas' teeth rip through his flesh, causing chunks of it to fall to the floor. Daimonas tilted his head back, swallowing what chunks he happened to get before he licked his lips, his eyes lighting up.

Jack curled his lip at that, ignoring the missing pieces of his arm, and lunged at Daimonas, who yelped in surprise at the sudden attack. Jack managed to pin him to the floor and slammed his head down hard into the tiles, enough to crack the tiles. Daimonas gasped and appeared to be dazed by the attack. I cursed and forced myself to get up again.

By now, my body was just numb. I couldn't feel the pain throbbing in my fractured ribs or anywhere else, nor did I care. Jack had Daimonas and he was going to take him any second and I couldn't let that happen.

Not again.

I grabbed Jack hard around the throat and reeled him away from Daimonas, who seemed to slowly recover from the attack. Jack twisted out of my grip and grabbed me by the head, slamming his against mine. Pain exploded like fireworks in my skull and I shuddered, collapsing to my knees. Jack spat blood to the floor as he rose to his feet in front of me, glaring down at me.

"It was cute before, how desperate ya were, but now you're just fuckin' pissin' me off. I was gonna let you live, but ain't no use now. Ya'll are in my way." He sneered, then grabbed me by a handful of my hair. I hissed as he dragged me to my feet and slammed me hard into a wall nearby, enough to dent it inwards. I went to push off and get away, but Jack caught me by the front of my jacket and threw me back against the wall. He pinned me there and flashed his fangs that glistened in the lights overhead.