Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen (Adam)

The evening was colder than this morning.

The air held an icy cold chill that swept right up my spine and made me shudder as I turned to scan the abandoned park, eyes jumping from tree to tree. Kipp and Seth were supposed to have been here by now, but I could only sense Peter and Walter hiding in the dark. Hunter was hidden somewhere else, somewhere I couldn't sense him, and that was kind of annoying now that I was a halfblood and could sense just about everything.

But I didn't want to be standing here, I thought restlessly. I needed to find Julian.

He hadn't shown up after he disappeared into Olivia's apartment. I tried to listen for him, but I could only hear Daimonas' heart pounding beside me. He seemed to be unsettled too, but he didn't know why. He was still struggling to keep a hold on his newfound emotions. But he knew as well as I did that something was seriously wrong.

I just wanted to leave Olivia here in the park, but I couldn't do that. Something in me held me rooted in place as I turned my head to look at Olivia, who stood behind me, trembling violently. I almost felt sorry for her, honestly. She was a pretty thing with vivid red hair and vibrant green eyes that were now covered with a black blindfold, a strip of duct tape covering her mouth. I could see tears dampening the blindfold, her hands drawn tightly behind her back with coarse rope that I tried to tie over her sleeves instead of directly on her skin.

This is taking too long, I thought impatiently.

Hunter had called Orion and given him the threat that if he didn't show up with Julian, we'd kill Olivia, but something inside me was struggling with the idea of hurting this girl. She was innocent. She didn't know what was going on or why. She had no idea that her boyfriend was a vicious bloodthirsty terrorist.

And I knew Julian was thinking the exact same thing, wherever he was.

My arms ached to have him back, my chest was tight with worry and I was starting to get a headache in the back of my head. I reached up and pressed the heel of my palm against one of my eyes to dull the headache. Olivia whimpered at the sound of me moving. I sighed, lowering my arm.

"I won't hurt you," I told her, voice void of emotion, "Not if they don't hurt Julian." She gave a muffled response, but I ignored her when I felt something. It was like a pang in my chest. I looked up, expecting to see Orion coming toward us, but it wasn't that kind of feeling. It was like... like I knew something bad was happening. I reached up and clenched a fist over my chest, trying to focus on the feeling when I heard footsteps in the grass.

I looked up, my frown deepening as I watched a shadowy figure move through the trees of the park until he came to the sidewalk and approached us. I narrowed my eyes in recognition as Orion came down the sidewalk, his expression stoic, but his blue eyes promised me a slow painful death if I laid a finger on Olivia. And I was feeling the same about Julian. Orion wore his signature black riding jacket, matching leather pants, boots, and a pair of opaque glasses sitting on top of his blonde head.

"Where's Julian?" I stated. Orion eyed me in the way a snake did to its prey, but I wasn't nearly as intimidated as he wanted me to be.

"He's on his way," He answered at last, making Olivia stiffen at the sound of his voice, "He's being delivered by a friend." For some reason, I did not like the way he said that. I tsked as a response, though, and folded my arms over my chest. Orion glared at me now.

"Why did you do this?" He asked. I almost laughed at that. He felt like the victim now? Good. He deserved it. Before I could stop myself, my hate and anger was boiling over.