Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight (Julian)

As per usual, I woke up before Adam.

He was still fast asleep and snoring away against his pillow with the blankets tangled around his legs as he curled up near me. I wanted to stay in bed and snuggle up to him, maybe catch up on a little more sleep, but I suddenly got a weird feeling. The hairs on the back of my neck rose and I slowly sat up, frowning as I rubbed the sleep from my eyes, scanning the room.

My eyes flickered around the animal printed room and it took me a moment to realize that something was missing.

Daimonas!

I glanced at Adam quickly, but I didn't have time to wake him up. I scrambled out of bed and pulled my jeans up, snatching my long sleeved shirt and walking out into the hallway. I looked up and down the halls quickly before making my way towards the stairs.

Where could he be?

He was in the room a couple hours ago when I woke up to use the bathroom. He was still awake and watching television, which pissed me off. He didn't seem to understand the concept of sleep yet, but then again, he was asleep for the longest time. He probably waited until he passed out before he realized he was tired.

Could he have wandered off and fallen asleep somewhere? Was he really that stupid? Vladimir and Alexander were bound to find him and not even give him a fighting chance.

Just thinking about them boiled my blood. How do they do this to us? And to Daimonas? None of this was his fault. He was fighting to stay alive, just like the rest of us. It wasn't his fault that... that we lost so many people back in Detroit. If anything, it was my fault for not fighting hard enough, for not telling everyone to stop and let Wulf do what he wanted. If they had just backed off and Wulf married me, we wouldn't be in this situation.

But Zephyra would still have Daimonas.

The thought seared through my brain and I quickly shook it out of my head as I made my way through the lobby and into a short hallway that opened up into the huge ballroom where all their celebrations were held for Samhain or Yule. Only it was completely empty now. I went to the other side of the huge room and opened up a door to the hallway with one entire wall lined with windows that looked out into the courtyard. They had cut down the Christmas tree they used each year during the Yule celebration and put up a bunch of newer trees, a couple of which were Japanese cherry blossom trees with the branches lined in frost.

I started to go into another hallway when I caught sight of something moving in the courtyard. I went to the glass door that opened up to it and came out, pausing to shiver at the cold air, my breath coming out in clouds. I made my way over the cobblestone path and went around to a cherry blossom tree to see Daimonas fast asleep underneath, but surprisingly, there was a blanket over him and a dalmatian sleeping next to him. I blinked, completely caught off guard.

Okay, first of all, how did he even get here? Second, when the hell did they get a dog?

"I wouldn't wake him," A voice said suddenly, making me whip around, "He just fell asleep." I felt every muscle in my body tense when I saw Vladimir standing there, leaning against one of the trees, wearing a long black coat, a navy scarf dangling around his neck loosely. I narrowed my eyes.

"Yeah, well, he's not safe out here. It's freezing." I answered tightly. Vladimir shrugged, pushing off the tree trunk and cocking his head to look at Daimonas, then back at me.

"It's a heated blanket. I'm sure he'll be fine. Winston seems to like him." He added, glancing back at the dog, whose ears perked up at his name being said. I frowned, looking at Daimonas and the dog, Winston, that sat watching us intently before it slowly lowered its head back down to rest against Daimonas' chest. I looked back at Vladimir slowly, suspiciously, as he watched Daimonas and Winston sleep.